BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  UK Biodiesel    My Astra GLS TD (1.7 Isuzu engine) stopped :(

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Astra GLS TD (1.7 Isuzu engine) stopped :(
 Login/Join

posted
Hi chaps

After about 30,000 on B100, my 1995 Astra refused to start. Symptoms were not revving over 2,000 and then not revving at all, and then not starting full stop. I suspect a seal or seals on the injection pump. It was cheaper to put a second-hand engine in it than get a recon pump. The car has done 130,000, how much on the engine that came out is unknown. The new engine seems a bit better than the old one.

Have a seal kit for the pump for about £12 (including the main drive shaft seal) and will be attempting a pump rebuild - will post the findings of stripping it down here.

Also have an Isuzu 1.7 engine to suit Astra Mk. 3 with immobiliser here (17DT or X17DT, not entirely sure which) - PM me if interested.

All the best

Pete

Location: Prees, Shropshire, UK | Registered: May 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh dear, I'm sorry for your loss, my isuzu engine seems to have a slight prob with b100, it doesn't like to start in the rain, other than that the only time I had a problem was when some glycerine found its way into the tank and blocked my fuel filter,didn't take much like only 2 grams in the filter and then it would not rev and then it would not start the next day. Changed filters after inspecting the old one at she is as good as ever.

Location: uk | Registered: July 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only ever had two faults with my fuel system.

1) a glycerine in the filter blockage.

2) On one occasion the rubber plug on the end of the fuel cut-off solenoid broke up and blocked the fuel supply. I fitted a second-hand one and was back on the road in less than an hour.
regards
dva

Location: Yorks,England | Registered: June 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More people have had probs with lift pumps than with injector pumps. Always worth checking that possibility first.

Boggs Super Oaf on B100

Location: Home Counties | Registered: January 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
peters1956,
Did you manage to sort out your problems ?

regards
dva

Location: Yorks,England | Registered: June 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, yes, finally :-)

The exchange engine lasted all of two months, until I bust a bypass hose and lost coolant. I thought I had caught it in time, but it was a case of creeping death, the head gasket had gone and carried on going. Eventually, when the oil smoke got too bad, I took it off the road, and spent the next couple of months fixing it.

I stripped the head off the old engine as there was a noticeable oil leak down the block from the head gasket. The head seemed to be flat enough to refit without skimming it, so I bought new gaskets and head bolts and a timing belt and idler / tensioner kit and put it all back together. I put the injection pump from the "new" engine back on (the pump from the old engine is still awaiting rebuild). The internal condition of the bores was surprisingly good, the cross-hatching from the honing was still visible, after 30,000 miles on B100.

It goes very well indeed now.

All the best

Pete

Location: Prees, Shropshire, UK | Registered: May 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peters1956:
Hi chaps

After about 30,000 on B100, my 1995 Astra refused to start. Symptoms were not revving over 2,000 and then not revving at all, and then not starting full stop. I suspect a seal or seals on the injection pump. It was cheaper to put a second-hand engine in it than get a recon pump. The car has done 130,000, how much on the engine that came out is unknown. The new engine seems a bit better than the old one.

Have a seal kit for the pump for about £12 (including the main drive shaft seal) and will be attempting a pump rebuild - will post the findings of stripping it down here.

Also have an Isuzu 1.7 engine to suit Astra Mk. 3 with immobiliser here (17DT or X17DT, not entirely sure which) - PM me if interested.

All the best

Pete
Hi have you still got the engine and where you running on bio diesel before ?.Could you reply to hennyv@talk21.com .Cheers Henny from High Wycombe

Location: High Wycombe | Registered: January 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post