BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  UK Biodiesel    Free water content test for UK biodiesel brewers.

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Free water content test for UK biodiesel brewers.
 Login/Join

posted
Over the last 6 months I have developed a test procedure which accurately determines the water content of biodiesel or any other fuel. If you are interested in the test and want to assemble one yourself it can be found in the Biodiesel quality section of this forum under " A simple test for water in fuel" or search under Carbide Manometer.
I realize that not everyone has the time or inclination to assemble an Carbide Manometer so I have decided to offer a free water testing service. Any one who wants to find out the water content of their biodiesel should post me a 150ml sample in a small PET drinks bottle labelled with their mobile phone number.( I dont need your name or address) I will test and send you the result by text. If you send more than one sample label them A, B, C etc. My address is the Railway Station, Lismore, County Waterford, Ireland.
Water content is an important issue especially as we approach the winter season. The reccomended limit for water content in biodiesel is 500 parts per million and if your fuel contains more than that amount it may cause damage to your engine in the medium to long term.
This service is only offered to home brewers, no commercial producers please.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: imakebiodiesel,

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Imakebiodiesel
Might take you up on your kind offer-I never really no how dry my fuel is- I've had no issues with the cars yet-but it would be nice to know a definitive ppm for water(see whether my "lazy" drying method is good enough-bubble dry with fan blowing).
Wonder if there are any issues shipping bio in a drinks bottle with all the latest terror threats etc!

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used the test to do exactly what you are proposing, to see if my drying method was good enough. In my case it wasnt, I was regularly driving on fuel that had more than a thousand ppm of water. I didnt have any immediate problems with my engine but long term I probably would have. With a little tweaking I was able to improve the drying process and lower my water content to around 200ppm all the time. Send me a sample before drying and one after. You dont need to label which is which, just call them A and B. There are no restrictions on posting biodiesel in such small quantities within Europe.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imakebiodiesel,

Very good of you to offer to do this. I may take you up on it soon.

dva

A very merry Christmas to you and your's.

Location: Yorks,England | Registered: June 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problem, Ill be away until Jan 7th but send the samples anytime you like.