BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  This Site  Hop To Forums  This Site    Archiving old posts
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Archiving old posts
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
I have decided to archive the old content of this site. All topics, other than sticky's, with reply's older than 11/27/08 have been archived to http://www.biodieseldiscussion.com/forums/index.php. Before I make this permanent I wanted to post this so that there is an opportunity to discuss this change. The two differences I see with this change are that there will be some broken internal links and the site will be searchable from two separate locations, instead of one. I figure since only posts, other than sticky's, over 1 year old will be archived, there shouldn't be much noticeable change for everyone

I will be making this change by the end of this week.

Shaun

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
Bio-Beetle Eco Rental Cars
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

Now offering the Nissan Leaf all electric car and the Chevy Volt Plugin hybrid electric car.
EV Car Rentals
Forum members get a 10% discount

Location: Maui, Hawaii | Registered: June 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should I assume these archived discussions will be "closed" and no new posts will be allowed to them?

Will they still be linkable?

Will the search function work (well, like normally anyway) on the archive site?

Will the picture links in these archives posts still bring up the pictures?

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awww, no more people resurrecting posts from 5 years ago with new posts to them?

It will be a pain to search both sites for a full answer to a question. Because > a year ago there was still lots of good info.

Most newbies will probably not do 2 searches for their questions, its hard enough to get them to do any search at all. The regulars here will probably do the 2 searches for them and post the links as we often do already.

YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary, see www.burnveg.com/forum
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4
Zero fossil house- 100% solar power and heat.

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Tim - Yes, the archive is closed, so no new posts are allowed. They are linkable. The search function works on the archive. Pictures that were uploaded to the site did not make it when I copied them to the archive. However, if y'all think we should keep the posts with pictures I'm willing to consider that, since it's not even 1000 topics.

SunWizard - Searching is the main function that will be affected, but what I can do about that is to put a link to the search function from the archive forum throughout the live forum. I'm also going to put a link to the different archived forums in their corresponding live forums.

If anyone wants to clean up their signature on the archive forum just let me know and I will get you a password.

I am interested in more feedback, just to make sure it goes as smooth as possible.

Shaun

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

Now offering the Nissan Leaf all electric car and the Chevy Volt Plugin hybrid electric car.
EV Car Rentals

Location: Maui, Hawaii | Registered: June 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just tried to do a search on the archive site - PITA - very confusing opening page, the "Image Verification" feature causes so much lost time I dought that even I will use this site. I will simply add new posts and pics to topics rather than post links to the same info and pics in past posts, bummer as I hate to have to do the same things over-n-over, also makes my local "links to" file totally obsolete.

Adding an "archive search" link in the current forums would be better than nothing, please do that (without the verification function). Unfortunatly, if the picture links in the archived posts don't work I don't think I will not use the site much.

Will a recent "bump" post save a discussion from being archived?

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I'm working on changing the settings, but in the mean time if you login to the archive site you can do a search without the verification (check your PM's). As for pictures, like I said, I can keep all attachments on the live site.

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

EV Car Rentals

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I will also install the google search tool on the archive forums.

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

EV Car Rentals

posted Hide Post
No problem with the discussions being closed, seams reasonable, just would like to have access to them directly through links without having to jump through log-in hoops.

quote:
As for pictures, like I said, I can keep all attachments on the live site.

Can you explain how this would work, will the entire discussion stay on the active forum or would just the pics be available somehow, please elaborate.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
You don't need to login to access the links, but I guess your point is that you don't want to login to make search easier? I will see if I can change the settings so you don't need to login to make search easier.

What I mean about the attachments/pictures is that I will not move over entire discussions that have them, so there will be some older content on the live site.

Shaun

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

EV Car Rentals

posted Hide Post
quote:
...in the mean time if you login to the archive site you can do a search without the verification...
I tried to login on the archive site with my infopop username and password but it wouldn't take it. Do we need to do a separate registration for the archive site?

I have a good number of old discussions bookmarked on my computer. Frown

Ken

Location: Sellersville, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that this has been talked about in the past, but here goes anyway:

Given the older, less featured interface that this forum currently uses, how hard would it be to migrate the whole shootin' match to a more modern forum package? Think of all the outstanding information that would be so much easier to search? It would most likely result in an increase in participation and a number of new users to enrich the idea pools.

Thoughts?

p.s. I'm a Unix Geek and would be willing to put some time towards the migration helping in any way I might be able to.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
mankypro - It has been talked about, and I had been planning on switching to the vBulletin software, that's what the archive is on, but my time is severly limited these days so I'm not yet ready to make that step, and it may never happen. Although, this is kind of a little step in that direction.

When you talk about a "modern forum package" what forums are you talking about? It seems to me that vBulletin is the most popular forum out there.

Thanks for your offer to help with the migration if we do it.

Shaun

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

EV Car Rentals

posted Hide Post
vBulletin is what I was frankly thinking of. Hell isn't everyone using it?

In any case the offer stands to help however I can.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaun:
mankypro - It has been talked about, and I had been planning on switching to the vBulletin software, that's what the archive is on, but my time is severly limited these days so I'm not yet ready to make that step, and it may never happen. Although, this is kind of a little step in that direction.

When you talk about a "modern forum package" what forums are you talking about? It seems to me that vBulletin is the most popular forum out there.

Thanks for your offer to help with the migration if we do it.

Shaun

quote:
Originally posted by mankypro:
vBulletin is what I was frankly thinking of. Hell isn't everyone using it?

In any case the offer stands to help however I can.

I think phpBB is the most popular FOSS or non-FOSS forum platform, but I could be wrong. Either way I have no preference.

vBulletin is quite good (but not free), so is phpBB. SMF is pretty snazzy too, and it looks like a fork of phpBB, but I have no experience with it, administratively speaking, nor have I really looked into it.

I've upgraded a relatively large phpBB forum before (from v2 to v3), and it was relatively easy (despite the forum being in Polish and i18n issues).

posted Hide Post
I vote to keep going with the vBulletin boards.
phpBB is nice & all, but not anywhere nearly as savvy from an admin standpoint.
Also, because phpBB is open source, all the spammers have figured out how to add spam user accounts to the thing...no matter how many fixes you put in place.

vBulletin on the other hand doesn't release their code.
I'm sure there's a way to hack it, but it's much harder.

If vBulletin works out (as Shaun gets the feel for it) one day infopop could migrate over.
Infopop has been very solid but it's very expensive (if I remember right).

vBulletin is a little more flexible with what it'll allow you to do.
-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bunk:
quote:
...in the mean time if you login to the archive site you can do a search without the verification...
I tried to login on the archive site with my infopop username and password but it wouldn't take it. Do we need to do a separate registration for the archive site?

I have a good number of old discussions bookmarked on my computer. Frown

Ken

Ken - Sorry, I missed your post. No new registration for the archive is necessary. I sent you a PM with your username and password for the archives. Sorry about the bookmarks, but if you have the discussion titles and dates that should make it easy to find the discussions on the archive.

Shaun

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

EV Car Rentals

posted Hide Post
Why not code all the "New Discussion" buttons to punt one over to the new board? Wink

Sometimes Machiavelli gets the better part of me...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaun:
No new registration for the archive is necessary. I sent you a PM with your username and password for the archives.
Got it, thanks. I hope you don't have to do that manually for everyone.

The auto-complete feature in the "User Name" field on the advanced search page is very useful!

Ken

Location: Sellersville, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graydon Blair:
because phpBB is open source, all the spammers have figured out how to add spam user accounts to the thing...no matter how many fixes you put in place.

Not true, adding 1 simple and unique question to the signup process stops all the spam bots. www.burnveg.com is using phpBB for >1 year and hasn't had a single spammer since adding the question.

YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary, see www.burnveg.com/forum
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4
Zero fossil house- 100% solar power and heat.

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SunWizard:
quote:
Originally posted by Graydon Blair:
because phpBB is open source, all the spammers have figured out how to add spam user accounts to the thing...no matter how many fixes you put in place.

Not true, adding 1 simple and unique question to the signup process stops all the spam bots. www.burnveg.com is using phpBB for >1 year and hasn't had a single spammer since adding the question.

Don't kid yourselves, no system is any more secure from attacks then the other. Any hacker worth their salt would be able to compromise either of the 2 systems talked about here. No source code is required, just a debugger...
My .02 cents
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post