BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  This Site  Hop To Forums  This Site    SPAM

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SPAM
 Login/Join

posted
I've been noticing a lot of SPAM recently.

Mainly from one Chinese site that is trying to sell clothing and etc.

I like the idea of this being a truly international forum so I would discourage blocking by country (China, Nigeria, Ghana).

But, perhaps one could put temporary bans on new registrations (& posting) by IP subnet.

If an IP address has 4 parts, block them by the first two.

I don't get too upset with alternative energy posts, although one would encourage "personalized" info. Perhaps one could put in an Anti-SPAM notice, and block hyperlinks in the first 5 posts. I know that would be a bit complicated. But, it would help weed out the one-hit-wonders.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been reporting them with the yellow triangle in the lower right corner of the message frame. The moderators usually delete the spammer within a day.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DCS>
posted
I have reported a couple as well but they are still there.
In the past when I have reported posts nothing has happened for at least a week and sometimes I thin get a message about the post I reported.

I don't think I'll bother in future.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I've deleted a lot lately. Just deleted a bunch by "www". When I find a spammer I delete all of their posts and I delete their membership.

I deffinitely apprciate it when posts are reported since I don't check all new posts.

Shaun

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
Bio-Beetle Eco Rental Cars
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

Now offering the Nissan Leaf all electric car and the Chevy Volt Plugin hybrid electric car.
EV Car Rentals
Forum members get a 10% discount

Location: Maui, Hawaii | Registered: June 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Shaun. I'll keep reporting them and would advise everyone to do so. Don't click on any of their links. Don't reply to them. Just do as john galt suggested and click on the yellow triangle in the lower right corner and report it as spam. I hate it when these punks take advantage of us like this.

"mixing up a bunch of magic stuff"

Al

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD - B25 - 100
2005 Ford F250 6.0 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 2300 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 1860 - B25 - 100
5KW Generator Set - B25
Lopi Republic 1250 - Glycerol/Sawdust Logs
Bath and Laundry - Glycerine Soaps

Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I reported a few spams in the past weeks, but notice that I cann't get back to the web page once the report a post has been finnished. when I click on the back button it says web page expired ????? anyone else have this problem Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biotom:
I reported a few spams in the past weeks, but notice that I cann't get back to the web page once the report a post has been finnished. when I click on the back button it says web page expired ????? anyone else have this problem Tom
If you wait long enough, it should take you back to the page you were on earlier.

In Firefox, rather than hitting the back button, I can select a pulldown menu next to it and choose the page I want to go back to. I thought Windoze Explorer did something similar.

As mentioned earlier, rather than playing "whack-a-mole" with the spammers, it should be possible to just block their entire subnet from registering again (at least until they get tired of trying).

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Report SPAM with the yellow triangle in the lower right corner of the message frame.

Avoid responding to the SPAM post in any way since that sends a signal to the spammer they they've got an active 'hit'.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post