BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  This Site  Hop To Forums  This Site    moderators?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

moderators?
 Login/Join

posted
Does this forum have moderators to stop the personal attack antics?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mike peltier,

posted Hide Post
Yes. There's 2 moderators.
However, this board is so busy that it requires some help from you if you see something that needs to be moderated.

Down in the bottom, right hand corner of each post there's a triangle looking thing. Click on the triangle and enter the reason why you think a post should be considered and it'll get looked at.

The SVO side of this place can get quite rough though. It's always been that way as far as I can remember.

-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
By the way, if you read through Dana's posts & look at how he posts, you'll see that about 90% of the "pissing matches" he brings on himself.

Someone just called his bluff & he got bent out of shape.

It's pretty much how it's been on that side for a long, long time.

But your right, things can get pretty heated over on that side.

One of the problems with SVO (and one of the reasons why there's so many pissing matches) is because of:
1) No government standard for SVO use in vehicles
2) No ASTM Standard for what constitutes "good SVO"
3) No standard for an ideal SVO system (in otherwords, everyone things THEIR SVO system is the best).

Mix those three together & it's a recipe for some pretty heated discussion.

What's interesting though is that within that heated discussion there's a lot that can be learned. There's some very smart people with a lot of education & understanding of combustion cycles & diesel engines. Pull the gems out of the firestorm & you'll be set.

-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More

posted Hide Post
The weather report for the SVO side of the forum says that there's a Category 3 pissing match now brewing.

Location: Pittsboro, North Carolina | Registered: March 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
by the way....

you wouldn't happen to be someone's 'alt', would you?

Seems like an awfully strange second and third post for someone who just joined.

Location: Pittsboro, North Carolina | Registered: March 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
come on, stop it.

I meant sock puppet. not that idiotic behavior in that particular group of people is really my problem- but I just don't buy that particular explanation ("Oh my god- fights on the internet?!? WHo knew??" is what it sounds like to me).

Most of the time people don't jump in with their second post, saying things like 'Hey! It's CHRIS' Fault! He's bringing down the site!!!' unless they're already heavily involved with the vegoil flame wars under another name.

We've had quite a few versions of this 'sock puppet' (google if you don't understand that one either) game here in the past, that's what it looks like is happening here. Most innocent posters dont just jump in like that with name-calling, and over a Dana-Chris Goodwin-DCS-Dieselburps kind of argument, especially since the pissing match hasn't even gone very far (yet).

Does not compute...

posted Hide Post
quote:
In the discussion I mentioned it doesn't seem like that at all. The dana person looks like trying to help, not attack anyone. The personal attacks were started by cgoodwin. Do the forum owners think this is OK? I've been afraid of posting any questions if that attitude is considered OK. Is this normal here? If I'm out of line then I'm sorry for bringing it up.

There's a history here that leads up to a sorts surreal wild west atmosphere.

If you keep reading, and go back through the archives, you'll see who's grinding which axe. There's number of axes being ground around here, but it's still one of the very best forums available.

The moderators do moderate, but you pretty much gotta flag a nasty post in order to get them to notice anything. They're busy and this forum does have a moderate traffic level. Summertime picks up a lot it seems.

<DCS>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by mike peltier:
I've been lurking and learning for about a month and recently registered.

That being the case, you would have already had time to see how things worked here and had you been so deeply offended, you would not have joined.
They don't allow smoking or drinking nor are you allowed to drive or vote when you are at middle school, but as adults, you are allowed a few more liberties.

Sock puppets are easy to spot the same as spammers saying " anyone tried this shifty Product?". They protest their innocence when called out on their bona fides, make a big fuss, only ever post a few times on the one single subject then fade away as fast as they appeared without contributing a thing other than arguments on the unique subject of their one tracked agenda.

That pissing match won't get very far with me, I have said my bit. I long ago realized there are some people that just don't have the credibility to bother arguing with while at least with others you may often find yourself banging heads, do make valid and useful points for which you can respect them for.

At least when you argue with these people you know they have credibility and experience behind them that gives some point to the exercise that they may come up with things you hadn't thought of and you may learn something.
Others that repeatedly and constantly contradict themselves and then try to say they were misunderstood( for the 1000Th time) you just can't be too bothered with but it can be very aggravating to see they are putting forward garbage that will give the newer veggers incorrect and misleading information. Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fabricator:

ROTFLMFAO!!!
Oh man! That was great!
-Graydon

posted Hide Post
Mike Peltier,

In the thread you referenced you'll see that there is a heated debate going on, but it's still a flow of information. Cgoodwin is adding information to the thread, not detracting, so while the argumentive atmosphere may be a bit much, it's hardly an attack.

An attack would be more like the replies you have recieved in this thread. They are based on assumption, lack logical support, and string someone out to dry before they can even get their feet wet.

IF you are not an alt then I'm sorry this has been your experience on this forum. If, however, you are an alt, then we reap what we sow. Best way to prove you're not an alt is to stick around and join in the discussions, and keep at it for a while so's folks can get to know you.

My advice: ignore the attacks and get on with learning what you need to know.

Dan

99.5 Jetta TDI, Elsbett single-tank (incl. modified injectors & glow plugs, FPHE, heated filters), running on WVO/Diesel blend

Location: Oregon | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I just cease to be amazed....
Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
re,
...I'm not trying to raise any issues on taboo subjects, ...

You'll be very pushed to find a subject that is taboo on this site. We have had some very 'interesting' discussions, and, maybe with a few band-aids, most of us seem to have survived.

dva

It ain't what you say, it's the way that you say it.

Location: Yorks,England | Registered: June 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

Ah Ha, so this is where the latest round of Sock-Puppet denouncements started.
Just a quick explanation for Mike's benefit.
In history class you may have learned that in days of old "Witchsmellers" roaming the countryside smelling out the Witches lurking about so they could be burned at the stake as was their just deserts.
Well, instead of "Witchsmellers," this site has a number of "Sock-Puppetsmellers". Their job is to smell out all the Sock-Puppets lurking on the forum.
Girl mark is by far the leading `Sock-Puppetsmeller on this site, so there is no point in pretending to not understand her accusation that you are a Sock-Puppet.
It is clear that you are either the Evil Sock-Puppet known as Tilly or at the very least his Familiar. Girl mark has uncovered and denounced any number of Evil Tilly Sock-Puppets in her career and I am sure you will not be the last one.
LOL

PS- If anyone is interested, I have now made about 10 batches of biodiesel and they have all turned out fine.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Howfast,

Tilly is a rather unique character. He has a strange sense of humor that is often very funny. However, he also likes to argue on a short list of specific topics. He will use sarcasm and unsupported blanket statements to trap his prey. Yes he is a little strange and has some bad habits, but I wouldn't call him Evil. So lay off Tilly. Eek

Now when a newbie takes on the same style as a unique member of our forum, has the same short list of topics he likes to argue about, and in general behaves the same, then for all practical purposes the newbie is the older member. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck then it must be a duck.

If you don't like being called a Tilly sock puppet, then stop behaving like Tilly.

Now for giggles, I have spotted at least one and possibly three other Tilly sock puppets. I refuse to identify them because they do not display the worst of Tilly's bad behavior. So in this case since they are not talking like a duck I'm going to continue to acknowledge them as different from the puppeteer. If this puppeteer is trying to turn over a new leaf and not be so offensive, then I'm in shock and impressed with him and wish him well on his journey of self improvement.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I teach middle school and we don't allow that with our kids. It makes it difficult for the kids who are trying to learn

But Mike, your playing with the big boys now.

dva

Location: Yorks,England | Registered: June 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dva:
quote:
I teach middle school and we don't allow that with our kids. It makes it difficult for the kids who are trying to learn

But Mike, your playing with the big boys now.

dva

Unfortunately you are not playing with the adults...

Moderators have the ability to check ISPs to determine if someone is using a sock puppet.
At least on the forums I moderate. But unfortunately they tend to simply go with their
instincts rather than invest any time verifying if they are right otr not.
Bad idea trying to ask for moderation Mike...it just makes you a lightning rod.

In all fairness however since I have been requesting moderation on this forum for years anyone else requesting it is assumed to be ME posting as a sock puppet. The fact that I have never done that is no defense. Anymore than the fact that you are not in reality a sock puppet.

sorry newbie.
It isn't a "family friendly" forum.
You will just have to get used to that.

If you want a "family friendly" VO conversion info source go here.

Location: Central MN..Brrrrrr! | Registered: November 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that you bring up editing & Tilly...

Is there any way to get in and edit some of the hyperlinks in some of the old Tilly Dr. Pepper posts... both in this forum as well as in the archive?

Especially since stickied reference articles with broken hyperlinks are ... a little odd.

----- Cliff -----

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post