BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    can 2 methanol sources connect into a common venturi driven vacuum leading to 1 PDs?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

can 2 methanol sources connect into a common venturi driven vacuum leading to 1 PDs?
 Login/Join

posted
After I process my BD, I seperate the glycenrin off to another tank. If I build a venturi driven vacuum (like what's in the GL Push/Pull model) can I plumb in methanol recovery from both the BD and the glycerin to the vacuum line? Doing this would allow me to have them share a plumber's delight condenser instead of having to make 2 PDs.

woudl this work, or would having 2 sources (BD and glycerin) ramping heat up cause issues. i am guessing it would not overwhelm the PD assuming i sized it big enough so that it could have handled the BD/gly before it was seperated.

Location: Dayton OH | Registered: April 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to imagine your design.

With the GL processor,

The oil is circulated with a pump with a venturi, and spraying the oil back at the top of the barrel, with the circulation itself being part of the distillation.

Are you using 2 different circulation pumps?

In theory, it shouldn't make any difference if you then had a single venturi or two different ones, or likewise the number of condensers.

I'm trying to imagine if there would be many contaminants that would pass through the condenser and the back into the venturi. Probably not a lot. But, with that in mind, you might choose to put the Venturi on the Glycerin side.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i think we arent talkignt he same thing. there are 3 main components here. the BD processor, the pump driven closed loop circuit that uses a venturi to create a vacuum (typically connected to the processor for push/pull), and glycerin tank used to extract methanol. i want to plumb the output of the glycern tank reflux column into the venturi vacuum line so that i can pull vacuum on the glycerin tank and reduce the temp i have to raise the glycerine to. the only thing goign thright the line will be methanol, exactly as is from the processsing tank when i extract emthanol from there. (i speciifalclly want to sperate the glycerin and bd instead of extract methanol from them together). my concner is that tryign to regualte heat in each vessal to regulate methanol recovery rates will be hard to do because i have 2 vessals. clear?

Location: Dayton OH | Registered: April 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post