BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Is it possible to demeth with just vacuum?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it possible to demeth with just vacuum?
 Login/Join

posted
I've been dry washing for about a year now and have been demething by heating the bio and circulating it in an Appleseed reactor and adding compressed air. I have a vacuum pump and would much rather try to recover some of the meth. My though is, if I put the bio in a couple of 100lb propane tanks while still warm and pull a strong vacuum on it, the meth should boil out. I have pretty much everything I need to make this setup work, and would really rather not have to buy anything. Do you think it will work?

posted Hide Post
Yes it does work well. Biggest problem every time is compatibility of your vacuum pump design with methanol. It's unlikely you can condense easily before the vacuum pump so all of the methanol needs to go through the pump. There is a lot of information on this board posted by others using vacuum successfully.