BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Heating elements
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heating elements
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gregory Kittredge:
I use the Home Depot 5500 watt lime life element at 240v. They work great.

Using a 40 gallon hot water heater: I fill the still, heat the pot to 220*F and then cut the power to the element. That brings the reflux up to 180+-. No agitation. By the time the pot reaches 220*F I have recovered 8 gallons. Then when the flow slows to a trickle, I inject a little air at the bottom of the pot. Now that the power is off, the pot slowly cools and I get out another two gallons. I then call it a day.

Using this system I have yet to burn an element and can demeth a forty gallon batch in seven hours. That is starting from dead cold solidified glycerin to done.

120v takes too long. I don’t have that kind of patience. There may be a bit more methanol I could possibly squeeze from the glycerin if I was to use a vacuum or a venturi. But at the end of the day it may be only be a gallon at most. Not worth my time.

No vacuum, no venturi, no pump, no moving parts. Just a simple atmospheric still. I am now ramping up that design with a 120 gallon tank.

Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg: Sorry about the duplicate. I was trying to reach you. I was wondering how and where you installed the air injection at the bottom of the recovery tank to prevent the glycerine from plugging the valve or heat from destroying it.
Also, where is a good place to find the threaded temp gauges or thermometers to install in-line. Jim

Location: Tennessee | Registered: June 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post