BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Recover Methanol from Glycerol that got 5% prewash!

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recover Methanol from Glycerol that got 5% prewash!
 Login/Join

posted
I do 5% prewash for my bd reactions, which means the Glycerol has 5% water in it.

If i wanna recover the methnaol fromt he glycerol (5% water in there). What shall i do? temperature control? or?

I don't wanna recover the methanol with very low purity =(, anyway to separate out the water?

Please help

thanks

posted Hide Post
keep the pot temp low enough to recover nice and slow. from what I have read, you will still end up with around 85% purity. Good enough to mix 50/50

posted Hide Post
how low temperature shall i go?

also for Dewater wvo..what temperature is good?

posted Hide Post
My pot temp can't really get above 180F, and I pull +-90% pure methanol from glycerin that has the 5% prewash in it. So that's one point to start with.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are your reclaiming results from using a basic pot still or reflux and are you mixing the glycerin while reclaiming

Location: southwest chicago,IL | Registered: September 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does as some amount of reflux to it since there is a 3' vertical section between the pot and the start of the condenser so the condenser can have a downhill pitch to the collection tank.

But not marbles, or steel wool, and any packing material, just an insulated 3' vertical steel pipe.

Here's a pic:

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
With the pot still are you mixing the glycerin at all abd if so how?, and whats your heat source electric?

Location: southwest chicago,IL | Registered: September 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its recirculated through the blue pump, and it has a 6500 watt element inline after the pump. The element is only running on 110V though, so it only puts off 1625 watts for a low watt density.

posted Hide Post
THANKS RYAN P.
FOR YOUR HELP AND ANSWERS....

posted Hide Post
its so simple to add a relux column I don't know why you wouldn't do it. We don't prewash but we consistently get 99% pure methanol from ours. Matter of fact we brewed a 70 gallon batch the other day from all recovered methanol and it turned out fine

http://www.biodieselpictures.com/viewtopic.php?t=614