BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Roughly how long??

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roughly how long??
 Login/Join

posted
How long do you think it would take to reclaim most or all the methanol out of 40 gallons of glycerine with a properly sized, single HWH heating element running on 110. While being pumped and recirculated?
Right now my setup is running 48 hours to recover roughly 10 gallons of methanol. Is that too long for this amount?

posted Hide Post
That's about on par with what I see. I get 10-13gal out of a 55 gal barrel laid on its side for a still: so it holds about 40-45gal. One element, and a recirculation pump. It takes allllll weekend to finish one batch, from cold glycerin Friday night to no more methanol flow Sunday night, and being shut off while I sleep because I don't trust it to run unsupervised.

More heat (a bigger element) would make it go faster, but then also raise the risk of burning the glycerin onto the element and burning it out. I use a low watt density, SS, 6500W, 220V element, so its doing 1625W at 110V.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ryan. I was starting to wonder. So far out of a 55 gallon drum used, I have recovered and reused 22 gallons of ME. Is there a limit to how many times you can resuse the ME after recovery? I figure I have some recovered ME in the drum now that has been reused twice. probably 6 or 8 gallons worth. The rest is brand new, 3 gallons or so

posted Hide Post
No, there is no limit but you dont have to worry about it, because you loose some every time that is basically unrecoverable, so because of these losses your 55 gallon drum will eventually be gone.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fab!

posted Hide Post
De nada.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You are pouring the recovered M back into the virgin M?

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fabricator:
you loose some every time that is basically unrecoverable

While you do "loose" a little,
The goal is to chemically bind the methanol to the fatty acids (transesterification). Thus, the majority of the methanol is consumed.

The methanol itself will not degrade as long as you keep it anhydrous (without water), and it doesn't pick up any contaminants

As Raften mentioned, in the future, you may wish to keep the "new" methanol in a separate drum from. So, you would just continue using the recovered methanol, and adding a little as needed.

The "new" methanol might have a slightly more consistent quality, you would always have it for testing purposes, or if you manage to contaminate the recycled.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hooknline,

I use my GL processor as my still. With 50 gallons of glycerin I recover 11.5 gallons in about 12 hours, the venturi makes all the difference. It allows the methanol to rapidly evaporate at a lower temp.

Tony

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3l
1983 Mercedes 300D
GL processor
You're not finished when you lose,
You're finished when you quit.

Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: April 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did put my recovered ME back in the new drum, as it only had 3 gallons in it or so of new stuff. Normally I dont.
tgomes..thats fast! Is that with 220 to the heater?

posted Hide Post
220V 5500w element, pump running, venturi open.
By then the pot is about 240f with the head contolled at 154f. Purity seems to run between 95% and 98% depending on weather it is the first or last out of the pot. No reflux column but the pipe to the condensor head is un insulated so there might be some small amount of reflux happening there.

Tony

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3l
1983 Mercedes 300D
GL processor

Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: April 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tgomes, which version of the GL processor are you using?

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I use the original GL not the push-pull. It works so well I have no reason to change.

http://www.biodieselpictures.com/viewtopic.php?t=444

Tony

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3l
1983 Mercedes 300D
GL processor

posted Hide Post
That's good news. How do you wash your bio? Do you use NaOH? Nice setup, by the way. What capacity is the tank? Is it a compressor tank?

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Paulus,

No washing, after distillation of the BD I bubble the hot (200f) BD till it gets to room temp. I then settle for a day or so and filter to 10 micron. Yes I use NaOH as the soaps settle much better after bubbling. It is a 60 gallon tank and yes it used to be an air compressor (lots of bungs and handy sizes)

Tony

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3l
1983 Mercedes 300D
GL processor