BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Reflux - Methanol Specific

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reflux - Methanol Specific
 Login/Join

posted
If I build a copper reflux still for methanol recovery, is that still then only good for non-consumable items like methanol.

Same question asked another way - can I distill water for consumption with a copper reflux still that had been used for methanol recovery?

Thanks!
Bill

posted Hide Post
I am sure if you gave it a proper rinsing it would be OK, though I am not sure I would drink anything that came out of it... Wink
I would prefer stainless if I was going to be drinking it but then I prefer RO water anyways. Distilled water is not good for you.
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say no, you would have to go through a very thorough clean out process, I don'r think it would be possible to get it clean enough, unless you made it out of stainless and made it easy to completely take it apart to clean every piece.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks!!

I guess I'll have to make another one for my water then Wink

Are you using Pressure Copper fitting or regular.

Do you Like the "Internal Reflux Still" or "Valved Reflux Still"? As found in .....

https://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/pdf/still.pdf