BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    GL's process and glycerine methanol
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GL's process and glycerine methanol
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hi all,

This seems to be a great way to recover the majority of methanol with high purity! I am definitely going to experiment using GL's neutralization method soon. Thanks!

I'm curious if it would be of use to still do a 5% prewash after the methanol recovery which would reduce the viscosity of the glycerol and enhance soap fallout. Let me know what you all think. Also, phenol. indicator changes from purple to clear at around a pH of 8... Is this the alkalinity you are aiming for to prevent the reverse reaction while not cracking soaps?

~Ryan

Chemical & Energy Engineering -- The Pennsylvania State University

posted Hide Post
Regarding the viscosity of the glycerol after de-meth: could one add water (say from the cooling reservoir for the condenser) to the reactor simply to thin the glycerol out and make it easier to handle? Then transfer it to a storage container where the water will eventually separate (or not?)? I'm thinki9ng specifically of low value disposal - composting or straight to sanitary waste.

posted Hide Post
When I am done distilling I turn the heat off and leave the pump running till it gets back down to about 160f. Then it goes into 5gallon buckets. I make soap out of some while it is still hot, the rest will solidify as it cools. It then gets scooped out into the trash. Local dump says as long as the methanol is out it is OK with them.
I use NaOH and at this temp it is still liquid enough to flow well, just a bit sticky.

Tony

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3l
1983 Mercedes 300D
GL processor
You're not finished when you lose,
You're finished when you quit.

Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: April 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do as Tony, use glycerol from diff. batches in a separate operation. No problem with my pump (NT "el cheapo" 40 bucks pump). I think it is a good idea at the end of distillation to add some water so the glycerin doesn't solidify inside the reactor. I'll try next time as I have noticed the pump sound different while getting close to the end of the distillation. I used to discard the glycerin after de-methed. Recently I order Legal soapmaking guide to start doing some soap out of the glyc. This time I poured the de-meth glyc. into a big Tupperware type containers waiting to the soapmaking "experiment". I have noticed some liquid on top of the solid (yes, I use lye) glycerin. Since I haven't added any water (I don't even use the 5% pre-wash) it has to be bio, right? Or it reversed back to oil? I always drain a little bit of BD with the last bit of glycerol after reaction is done. I wonder since I am taking the methanol away from this glycerol/BD mix if the reaction is reversed and this liquid is oil. Any thoughts? Will 3/27 test be good to determine what this stuff is?

Location: Central Florida | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So GrahamLaming , when are you going to publish , then have updates , like computer programs ?
Thanks for your work .
John

Location: St.Paul | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone, could you use Turmeric as the indicator instead of the phenol ?

stumpy

Location: Derbyshire UK | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Stumpy,

I use turmeric in my rice and pasta. It turns the color yellow and has a pleasant taste. It also works well for titrating your WVO.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eurocab,

Thanks for the reply, I use turmeric in my curries as well, I know it can be used as an indicator for WVO.

My question was specifically regarding this new process of Grahams.

Thanks stumpy

Location: Derbyshire UK | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stumpy,
Without a doubt many of us here in sunny South Africa use turmeric as an indicator, in fact I prefer it, costs next to nothing. Jim.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Graham Laming,

After reading around a bit with using HCl regarding biodiesel production, I came across a few warnings that HCL shouldn't be used due to its incompatibility with stainless steel. Could a different acid be used instead? Have you had any troubles dosing with HCl thus far? Thank you.

~Ryan

Chemical & Energy Engineering -- The Pennsylvania State University

posted Hide Post
In this thread
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/71960555...781033611#1781033611
the general consensus seems to be that exposure time to the stainless steel should be low for the concentrated HCL.

Once the HCL is mixed in, it is very low concentration and shouldn't affect anything.

That's what I got from reading it...sheesh, long thread.

I'm willing to chip in some bucks to get the succinct version of the acid and meth recovery summary.... who wants to contribute and make it easy for us noobs?

Paul

1983 Mercedes 240D Single tank WVO - FPHE, Injector Line heaters, aux fuel pump. Water/Methanol Injection. Frantz bypass oil filter. - North Florida

Location: Fernandina Beach, Florida | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread appears to have died, has anyone done any more work on using HCL to neutralise the catalist? "Graham"?

posted Hide Post
I haven't done the acid nutralisation method, BUT I successfully recovered methanol from the total batch of bio AND glyc in my GL style processor without any problems.

see post here
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...449605551/m/97010537

Chug

1991 Transit Tipper
1991 Mercedes 709D

http://www.wastevegoildacorum.co.uk

The Biodiesel wiki
http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki

Location: S.E. England | Registered: September 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post