BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Teflon Tubing for Methanol Recovery?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teflon Tubing for Methanol Recovery?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey so I was wondering about whether or not Teflon could be used as tubing for a methanol recovery apparatus. Has anyone done this before or heard of anyone doing it? The chemical resistance of Teflon and the high temperature rating lead me to think that this may be a viable idea.

What do you guys think?

posted Hide Post
what's wrong with copper?
easy to get..
works fine with methanol.
metal makes for a better reflux column. you need something to dissipate heat.

just some thoughts

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am with dkenny on this one. Soft copper tubing is excellent for making a condenser with. This is the old one I used that shows how to build one and the new one where I swapped out the pail for a water heater but kept the same condenser.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used the pumber's delight version of the condensor column. 1/2" copper inside of 1" copper water jacket. 1/2 by 1/2 pipe theads on each end, and for the water jacket outlets. then 1 by 1/2 by 1/2 tee's to close everything up. works great.

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post