BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    What Is This

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is This
 Login/Join

posted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg-Jo-mg3BM&feature=related

Can someone explain why this would work?

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like methanol removal (into the air), not recovery. Can't really tell without some labels.

Andrew

http://biodieselcommunity.org
03 Dodge 2500 B100 homebrew
79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, ASSUMING this is not just another youtube fake video (which is already a pretty big assumption), one possible explanation would be that this is just a condenser that instead of using water for cooling, uses a refrigeration unit. Judging for the small size and absence of a (visible) fridge unit, I'd say maybe a Peltier type system.

"When you don't think what you say, you say what you think" Jacinto Benavente.

"Wars not make one great" Yoda.

"A pessimist is a well informed optimist"

WWVhaCwgSSdtIGEgZ2Vlay4gU08gV0hBVD8=

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Andrew - most of the methanol is boiling off. It also looks like the tube is insulated rather than cooled! It also appears that the methanol in the bucket is contaminated with glycerol - glycerol foams and travels up the condensor tubes when the methanol starts to boil. I would guess that the small amount of methanol that is actually seen dripping out has condensed in the neck.

Location: Scotland | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post