BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Flash Evaporator for methanol

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flash Evaporator for methanol
 Login/Join

posted

This is my flash evaporator. Hope the picture shows. I have never posted a picture. I am planning on a condenser on top of a second tank with a vacuum to the second tank. I am welding the reservoir/vacuum tank now and I have built the condenser. The spray is at 30psi and a gallon/minute. I welded a spray nozzle on the inside and I am running a ag spray nozzle. I have an inline heater and was planning on running using residual process heat and having the inline heater as secondary heat. The BD bypasses back to original tank. Any thoughts on type of vacuum, condenser or anything else I need to think about? These are 100lb propane tanks that I welded and powder coated.

Location: Traverse City,MI | Registered: August 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Here you go

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vacuum distill methanol, and ethanol out of biodiesel at 12 inches above zero, that's about 300 millimeters of mercury. I use ice water to cool my condenser. If the condenser is too warm, or the pressure too low, the methanol goes out through the vacuum pump. For about $2500 american dollars I could buy a good vacuum pump that has chemically resistant internal surfaces. VWR International sells them. Maybe VWR has a vacuum pump that will meet your needs. My vacuum pump was salvaged from a pile of garbage. My ethanol distills out at about 43 degrees centigrade if I recall correctly. There's something that is a vacuum trap, I've forgotten what they're called, VWR sells them. A vacuum (condenser) trap is a special type of condenser that might be immersed in ethanol and dry ice to condense vapors that would otherwise be pulled through the vacuum pump. Hope this helps. Thanks

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post