BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    new still question

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new still question
 Login/Join

posted
I have just finished what I hope will work to recover the methanol from my byproduct.The pot is made from a 13.4 gallom HDPE tank. How much byproduct can I safely put in there start with?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaun,

Location: Athens Al | Registered: July 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None , the plastic tank will melt at about the same temperature as the methanol starts to boil .

Location: Crosby Tx. | Registered: June 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone on here,sorry I lost the link to it and dont remember who it was,Made one from a plastic 5 gallon bucket thats not nearly as thick as this is.This one is made just like a 55 gal drum just smaller.

posted Hide Post
but what's going to happen to the plastic at 200+F? mehtanol starts to boil off when the pot temp reachs 148F but to get all the methanol out you'll need to heat the glycerine to atleast 200F.
I like to mine to 210-220F.

so forget the plastic tank.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you are mistakenly thinking of a condensing coil that was built into a 5 gallon plastic bucket . That will work for the condenser , but it will not work for the heating tank .

Location: Crosby Tx. | Registered: June 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, the condenser was in a five gallon plastic pail, not the boiler pot, go ahead and pour ten gallons of glyc in the barrel then fire up the heating element (do this out in the middle of a ten acre freshly plowed field or ten acre blacktop parking lot) and see what happens, be sure to stay at the edge of the field/parking lot, until the inferno subsides.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The idea for the Boiler part of the system came from Legals page ( http://b100wh.com/recovery1.html#condenser )after rereading that,I'm not sure if its a plastic or metal pail. I guess Legal could tell us.

posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure the boiler pail is made from metal. Look at the way the handle is attached, it is riveted on. I can' remember seeing that with plastic.

2001 Dodge 3500 CTD running B100

Self appointed Minister Of Propaganda, Order Of The Semi Sealed Steel Drum Reactor

Currently washing and drying with a "Death Trap" heater.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah thats what i was thinking after looking at it again

posted Hide Post
Guys,

I used to make lots of Homebrew Beer before moving on to Brewing Biodiesel. How would this work as a small still?? (something similar to Legal's http://b100wh.com/recovery1.html#condenser) Which would be installing a element in the side and seal with "goop".. My concerns are finding appropriate fittings to match the fittings on top of the corney keg to attach the condenser..

thoughts/comments?

Thanks.

================
- 05 Duramax on Bio
- 02 VW Jetta TDI on Bio

Imagece_1.jpg (19 Kb, 32 downloads)

Location: Sweet Home Alabama | Registered: February 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do like I did and grind 'em off. Then weld some stainless or black iron couplings over the holes.Cornelius kegs are great.

posted Hide Post
Fyremedik,

how did you attach your heating element?

Cheers.

================
- 05 Duramax on Bio
- 02 VW Jetta TDI on Bio

Location: Sweet Home Alabama | Registered: February 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Beer,
Where would i get one of these kegs?

posted Hide Post
You can find them on ebay... Since you are in Athens, there is also vendor in Huntsville that has them also.. http://www.kegkits.com/index.htm

Keep us posted on your progress.

================
- 05 Duramax on Bio
- 02 VW Jetta TDI on Bio

posted Hide Post
Thx,
I see that they only have 5 gallon ones.Thats kinda small. Was Hoping to find something in the 15 gallon range. Any ideas?

posted Hide Post
Tiger,

In the 70's the soda distributors used a 10 gallon Cornelius Keg. They are highly sought after by the home beer brewing community. You can find them occasionally but they are expensive. ($100+ range)

If you wanted to look at the 15 gallon range, I would recommend possibly using a standard beer keg (15.5 gal - which are also pretty cheap to acquire). There are several websites showing using them to distill alcohol spirits. You would have to cut a hole out in the top and affix your column assuring that their are no leaks.. I think it would be very do-able. Take a look at this site... Page 18 shows how you could do it.. http://www.moonshine-still.com/page18.htm

Cheers.

================
- 05 Duramax on Bio
- 02 VW Jetta TDI on Bio

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger744:
Thx,
I see that they only have 5 gallon ones.Thats kinda small. Was Hoping to find something in the 15 gallon range. Any ideas?

Tiger,

Try your local Pub or bar and talk to the owner about a keg, offer to pay the keg deposit (in NH its $25 bucks) and you might get you choice of sizes. Largest is 15.8 gal.

Location: NH | Registered: October 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post