BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Alcohol Hydrometers give false purity. Here are the pics.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alcohol Hydrometers give false purity. Here are the pics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I wasn't being pissy... tongue in cheek thing.
I had looked at the 22 hydrometers long and hard before buying a high dollar one. For my application, the high dollar piece was important. For this application is probably is not.
Mine does not have a wooden case, though. I must have got screwed. LOL
I was considering methanol recovery. I don't make tons of bio, so probably more of a pita for me than its worth.
Good luck.
Wags

Location: waterloo, il | Registered: July 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Weiner:

Anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that the reaction can handle the water created from methanol recovery provided you mix the recovered methanol with pure methanol. But how much to mix? Well of course it will all depend on the purity of the recovered methanol.

Doug

I wonder if there are still those who are successful using a saturated solution of NaOH and water mixed with methanol ?? Seems to me there are/were several who reported no excessive problems using this method as a convenience to avoid the slow dissolving nuisance of a purely NaOH and methanol solution--

ReM

B100--
2004 Motorhome CatC7
1987 Mercedes 190D 2.5 Turbo(possibly for sale)
1983 VW Pick-up (Caddy) 1.6 Turbo
Southern Oregon

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
The technique of mixing NaOH with water before mixing with methanol was mostly in use before the 3/27 test. Those who use the techique and are testing for completeness of conversion universally report difficulty meeting 0.24 for total glycerin.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ReM:

I wonder if there are still those who are successful using a saturated solution of NaOH and water mixed with methanol ?? Seems to me there are/were several who reported no excessive problems using this method as a convenience to avoid the slow dissolving nuisance of a purely NaOH and methanol solution--
ReM
I used to use it all the time until I changed to KOH. I bet most people using Aqueous NaOH have probably changed to KOH

quote:
Originally posted by RickDaTech:
The technique of mixing NaOH with water before mixing with methanol was mostly in use before the 3/27 test. Those who use the techique and are testing for completeness of conversion universally report difficulty meeting 0.24 for total glycerin.
I never had any problems with the 3/27 test. Where did you find out about the universal problem people were having, this is the first time I have heard about it.

Location: Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Godlef:
quote:
I never had any problems with the 3/27 test. Where did you find out about the universal problem people were having, this is the first time I have heard about it.

Are you using translation software? If so then it obviously didn't translate what I said properly.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Godlef:
quote:

Are you using translation software? If so then it obviously didn't translate what I said properly.
Yes I was then. What did you mean properly?

Location: Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Which language program did you use? I am considering using automated translation software and would like to avoid the software you are using.

sentence 1 said: dissolving naoh in water before adding to methanol was popular before the 3/27 test was introduced.

sentence 2 said: people dissolving naoh in water before adding to methanol reported high bound glycerin levels in their biodiesel. -

neither sentence suggested there was a universal problem with the 3/27 test.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Which language program did you use? I am considering using automated translation software and would like to avoid the software you are using.

sentence 1 said: dissolving naoh in water before adding to methanol was popular before the 3/27 test was introduced.

sentence 2 said: people dissolving naoh in water before adding to methanol reported high bound glycerin levels in their biodiesel. -

neither sentence suggested there was a universal problem with the 3/27 test.
What languages do you want to translate into? I use SYSTRANet
I am glad to hear there was not a universal problem with the 3/27 test.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
I have not made up my mind yet. Google was at the top of my list so far. how does your program handle misspelled words?

I will be translating engilsh into spanish, portugese, Japaneese, and possibly German.