BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    How long does it take?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long does it take?
 Login/Join

posted
I am still not finished with my methanol recovery system, but am curious how long I need to boil the methanol before it's all out of the bio? I have a sealed 40 gallon electric hot water heater and 30 gallon batches- using the bottom 240V element only. How long do I maintain the heat at 170F and do I run the circulator pump all the time, or once it reaches temp, can I shut it all off? Everything i read says to look for drips in the still, but until I build the still, I am just boiling off.

Thanks

posted Hide Post
ski2liv,

a couple of things to think about

170F pot temp is too low.. I run mine until the pot temp hits 205F. I would go higher but don't because the pump seal will not take it. if you using the HF or NT pumps don't go above 200F..you'll loose the shaft seals.

inject air in the pot..either above or below the liquid. this help to force the vapors out..reduces recovery time Smile

use a reflux column. this help improve the purity. mines 2" copper pipe the stainless scrubs loosly packed inside.

control the pot temp based on the temperature at the top of the reflux column. I run mine at 151F at the top of the reflux column.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post