BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Methanol purification

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Methanol purification
 Login/Join

posted
Can methanol be purified using zeolite, like it's done with ethanol?

"When you don't think what you say, you say what you think" Jacinto Benavente.

"Wars not make one great" Yoda.

"A pessimist is a well informed optimist"

WWVhaCwgSSdtIGEgZ2Vlay4gU08gV0hBVD8=

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To remove water, Yes. If you select the proper zeolite. A type 4A if I remember correctly.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Double D. Yes, I was talking about removing water.
I guess I should've said "dewater" instead of "purify", but the word didn't occur to me at the time.
Thanks again. Smile

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your welcome Berny,
I should let you know that I have personally never used any molecular seive. I researched it for the same purpose you mentioned and I'm pretty sure that is what I found. Since distillation works so well, I haven't persued it.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I should let you know that I have personally never used any molecular seive.

That's ok. Either way I appreciate your input.
I know distillation works well, but I'm thinking of using a molecular sieve as a means to reduce energy consumption. If I can distill faster (by increasing the temp.) and then dewater with the Zeolite, I should be able to save both, time and energy (money).

posted Hide Post
I have 2 bags of Activated Aluminum Oxide dessiccant sitting in my garage. I was really hoping that they were zeolite. They are, but they have a pore size of 58 angstroms. Big enough to suck up water Smile and methanol Mad.

Oh, well...

-Jim

Location: Middle Tennessee, Jack Daniel's country | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post