BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Jelled Glycerol (Glycerin), NaOH and methanol recovery

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jelled Glycerol (Glycerin), NaOH and methanol recovery
 Login/Join

posted
Setup:
I have used NaOH for the first time with 130L of used Soybean Oil and 20% methanol using the 80/20 technique. After adding the first 80% methoxide, I mixed for 60 minutes and drained the glycerol, then added the next 20% and again drained the glycerol after 60 minutes. In total, I pulled out approximately 7 gallons of glycerol in two different buckets.

After cooling, the Glycerol has 'hardened' ok lets say jellied into a firm jello like substance. As a matter of fact, it has clogged up the drain pipes in the processor where the bio settled. (more on this in another post)

My questions:

1) Does this Glycerol contain any methanol in it or did it all go into the bio?
2) If not, how much methanol is left in the glycerol - at least as a percentage?

I was under the impression that Glycerol with Meth in it would normally stay a little liquid or is that what is keeping it jelly? Meaning otherwise it would be rock solid.

3) One last question. If I demeth the bio and glycerin together at lets say 150F (under vacuum), at what temp does the demeth glycerin start to really harden?

Thanks
Doug

Location: Los Angeles | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the majority of the excess methanol ends up in the glyc, but even with methanol in it can go jelly if it gets cold enough. approx 1/5 - 1/4 of it will be methanol, when it's demethed my glyc sets hard even in warm weather.

1991 Transit Tipper
1991 Mercedes 709D

http://www.wastevegoildacorum.co.uk

The Biodiesel wiki
http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki

Location: S.E. England | Registered: September 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is cold enough? I live in Southern California and I bet when this happened, it didn't go lower than 65. Probably closer to 75 as we had a heat wave last week.

Also what is a good way to make it liquid so I can at least pour it out and deal with it?

Doug

Location: Los Angeles | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
doug, add water towards atend of your recovery while its still hot and that will help keep everything liquid.