BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    dehydrating 3A molecular sieve

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dehydrating 3A molecular sieve
 Login/Join

posted
G'day all!

I'm finally about to receive my order of 3A molecular sieve. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a simple, effective yet safe set up for dehydrating the zeolite after it's soaked up moisture from my methanol distillation. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm hoping to avoid the just-put-it-in-the-oven approach unless people have experience say that it fine after being ventilated well before hand.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Blessings,

Location: Formerly Brisbane QLD but in Ukraine for the past 16 years | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wayne,
If I recall correctly, Imakebiodiesel is using a 3A molecular sieve to dry nethaon and allowing it to regenerate by air drying.
I don't have personal experience with it but maybe Imakebiodiesel will reply.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayne Zschech:
G'day all!Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a simple, effective yet safe set up for dehydrating the zeolite after it's soaked up moisture from my methanol distillation. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm hoping to avoid the just-put-it-in-the-oven approach unless people have experience say that it fine after being ventilated well before hand.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Blessings,

The procedure that is recommended to me by the manufacturer, what I use without problems and what I have recommended to those who have purchased 3A from me is really pretty straight forward.

3A will absorb 20 to 22% of it's weight in water. Try to estimate the moisture content of the beads (before and after weight is the easiest) to keep from regenerating the bed before it is due. The beads have a definite life span of 45 to 55 cycles. When the beads are due to be flushed, soak them in warm water for two hours then spread them out to dry. Sun is best, room temp with a small fan is adequate. Turn the bed frequently to allow the free water to evaporate. To finish the job and restore them to 100% efficiency put them in an oven or a hot box at 275 to 300 degrees for an hour, turning every 15 to 20 minutes.

The soaking cycle is to clean the pores and assure that there is no methanol to cause a problem with the heating cycle. I do have a customer in Arizona that dries his in a hot box, although the blazing sun and low humidity is the main reason that works. The oven cycle is not absolutely necessary if you can raise the temperature enough to evaporate the water by some other means. The drier the bead, the more it can capture before needing regenerating again.

You noted that you were finally receiving the zeolite. If you need to reorder or need additional I do ship internationally.

Norman

Location: Lincoln, NE | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
StorminNorman,
What's your cost on 3A molecular sieve?
I tried to check on Nebraska Bio Pro, but it appears the site is under construction.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post