BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Methanol evaporation question

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Methanol evaporation question
 Login/Join

posted
This is coming from a storage perspective. Some water methanol users are trying to figure out how to keep the methanol from evaporating from the water it is mixed in with. I can't find alot about methanol evaporation, but it seems that BDers are trying to get it to happen. Assuming a vented black tank mounted in the bed of a truck, what is the best way to keep the methanol from evaporating out the vent? From preliminary reading, it seems that a vent cooler than the tank is good for collecting it, so would a vent hotter than the tank be the best for keeping it in? What kind of evaporation rates would a 5 gallon container with 25% methanol vented through a 1/2" hose have? We stumbled into it on another forum and are trying to figure out if it is something to worry about.

Location: Mito, Japan | Registered: November 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plug the vent. If that's not possible, keep the liquid as cold as possible. You also could try an airlock - the liquid in it would absorb some of the vapors, and prevent free breathing which should also reduce evaporation. Is it really a big problem? I don't know, but consider that methanol is an ingredient in automotive windshield washer fluid, primarily there as an anti-freeze.

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca | Registered: July 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tanks are in the back of beds for truck guys, up to 35 gallons with water and methanol mixed in. I would think that a vent would be necessary.

Location: Mito, Japan | Registered: November 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why? Are they emptied on the fly somehow? Here 55gal(~210l)drums of methanol are hauled and stored w/o venting in things like shipping containers.

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca | Registered: July 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Working this same issue Shaman, but in the engine compartment on my boat. Heat an issue in there also, I'm mounting a 4gallon fuel cell for water/methanol storage.

Probably going with a small check valve that will only allow air into the tank. That could be mounted into a T pipe fitting along with a 15PSI pressure release [pop off] valve. Check grainger.com or mscdirect.com .

So if the pumps pulling liquid it will open the check valve, otherwise it's a sealed tank. The pop off would release if for some reason the tank overheated and became pressurized.. Best I could come up with so far.

-Ken

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Kenr34
2010 Sponsor

Posted June 14, 2011 06:26 PM Hide Post
Working this same issue Shaman, but in the engine compartment on my boat. Heat an issue in there also, I'm mounting a 4gallon fuel cell for water/methanol storage.

Probably going with a small check valve that will only allow air into the tank. That could be mounted into a T pipe fitting along with a 15PSI pressure release [pop off] valve. Check grainger.com or mscdirect.com .

So if the pumps pulling liquid it will open the check valve, otherwise it's a sealed tank. The pop off would release if for some reason the tank overheated and became pressurized.. Best I could come up with so far.

-Ken

I was with you on the check valve, I did the same thing with the little tank I had in the back of the hatch. Didn't want the fumes, but didn't want to stress out the pump.

posted Hide Post
If you must vent it be sure to do it where the fumes will not be returning inside; methanol is toxic.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good advice, probably reason I'm going blind, working with this crap every day.

-Ken

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post