BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    The efficiency of demethanol

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The efficiency of demethanol
 Login/Join

posted
How to do the methanol recovery in an efficient way? There are several parameters we can adjust. How to select the appropriate parameters so that we can finish the demeth as fast as possible?

(1) Venturi VS vacuum pump, which one is more efficient?
GL propoesd a simple venturi system to do the demeth, how about the efficiency comparing to a vacuum pump? I think a pump is more powerfuly, but no idea how big the differance could be. For example how many gallon methanol/hour can be recovered with differtent methods.

(2) Cold water VS Ice water, how big is the differance?
Sure Ice water is better, does anyone has any idea of the differance? for example how many gallon methanol/hour can be recovered for cold water or ice water? (For the cold water condensor, how to deal with the hot water come out of the condensor? just let it go as waste water? For the ice water cooling, we need to add ice)

(3) Copper pipe, length and size?
GL suggest 1 meter copper pipe. For a 35 gallon batch, maybe this is enough to do the job, but how about 100 gallon batch? 200 gallon batch? How to decide the lengh and the size of the pipes so that we can finish the job in a reasonable time?

I have searched all posts in the "Methanol Recovery" section, no answered can be found. Any thoughts or comments is appreciated!

posted Hide Post
With jamesrl venturi and 1m (3ft)plumbers delight condensor using total loss water cooling (cold tap runnimng to waste) ala GL, 170 litre whole batch demeth (WBD) averages 5LPH recovery rate.

Vacuum recovery seems quicker from the recovery rates I've seen posted by Fabricator in the
"demething whole batch (bio and glyc ) NO ACID" thread but I would like to see some comparison between GL system and vacumm system for the same batch size.

1991 Transit Tipper
1991 Mercedes 709D

http://www.wastevegoildacorum.co.uk

The Biodiesel wiki
http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki

Location: S.E. England | Registered: September 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chug!

Yes, I also read Fabricator's post in the "demething whole batch (bio and glyc ) NO ACID" thread. His recovery rate is around 5 gallon/hour using a vacuum pump. Comparing to yours 5LPH, his rate is aound 4 times faster.

But I don't know the dimentionis of fabricator's copper tube. I guess different size (length, size etc.) has different efficient.

quote:
Originally posted by Chug:
With jamesrl venturi and 1m (3ft)plumbers delight condensor using total loss water cooling (cold tap runnimng to waste) ala GL, 170 litre whole batch demeth (WBD) averages 5LPH recovery rate.

Vacuum recovery seems quicker from the recovery rates I've seen posted by Fabricator in the
"demething whole batch (bio and glyc ) NO ACID" thread but I would like to see some comparison between GL system and vacumm system for the same batch size.

posted Hide Post
hum here's some different answers

1. don't use either...
2. don't use water..cold or ice..air works fine..
3. where are you trying to run the pipe? the condenser? the reflux column?
yes I have copper pipe..2" diameter 5' tall..its the reflux column
then 10ish feet of 3/8 copper pipe that led to the condenser..an old refrig system condenser..cooled by air..NO WATER..just a fan..

now saying my setup is the best/ most efficient but it work very well.
is your goal to remove methanol fast and cheap? or with high purity? they don't always go together.
my setup work best in the winter when is cold outside..why? I can put more heat into the system than the reflux column can remove..the colder the outside the more heat I can put the faster the recovery goes.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post