BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Mixing glycerin with wvo

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mixing glycerin with wvo
 Login/Join

posted
I don't have a good way to distill my glycerin so I started mixing it with raw wvo. 100 gallons of glycerin and 200 gallons of wvo heated to 200 degrees for 6 hours. This drops my titration. Is there going to be methanol left in the glycerin ? Should i find a way to run a distillation. Any input would appreciated

Location: Finger Lakes of NY | Registered: August 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also put glycerin in my wvo . I have not tried to recover methanol but I am working on a vessel to do so. Maybe I will have an answer for you in a few months.

posted Hide Post
Hello Hooftrimmer, Yes, there will still be methanol left in your glycerol.
I also do a glycerol pre-treatment, it is a very efficient way to get more out of your oil. I have never bothered to try to check how much methanol is left, but it won't be much. Certainly not enough to bother to distill out what is left in there.

There is no need to mix for as long as you are doing, tests have shown 1 hour is sufficient. do it at no more than 60degsC.

I use a fellow bio-brewers glycerol to pre-treat (he does not do this method and he uses a lot of chemicals) so it is good for me to use his glycerol. I use low titrating oil.

After pre-treating 200 litres of my oil with 60 litres of his glycerol, not only have all the ffa's been neutralised but I usually achieve between 10 and 25% conversion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dgs,

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also do a glycerol pre-treatment, it is a very efficient way to get more out of your oil. I have never bothered to try to check how much glycerol is left, but it won't be much.

shouldn't that be "methanol is left"?

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Hooftrimmer,

quote:
Originally posted by Hooftrimmer:
I don't have a good way to distill my glycerin so I started mixing it with raw wvo. 100 gallons of glycerin and 200 gallons of wvo heated to 200 degrees for 6 hours.
200F is far hotter than required.
Methanol boils at around 65C/ 149F so unless you have a pressurized reactor there is very likely virtually no methanol left at the end of 6 hours
Youu will be fine if you keep the temp around 55C/130F for an hour or so depending on what type of reactor you are using and how good it is.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
quote:
I also do a glycerol pre-treatment, it is a very efficient way to get more out of your oil. I have never bothered to try to check how much glycerol is left, but it won't be much.

shouldn't that be "methanol is left"?

Well spotted john, I've edited it, thanks.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post