BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    evaporation yes condensation no

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

evaporation yes condensation no
 Login/Join

posted
Need some help, I have an 85 gallon water heater filled with 55 gallons biodiesel, have 2 refractions coumns 4 feet tall each conected to a 3/16 inch coper tube that goes thru its condenser wich is a 2 inch pipe 4 feet tall. I have a fountain pump for the cooling with a gallon of car antifreeze diluded in 50 galons of water. I heat to 205 farenheit. good evaporation but no condensation, it worked fine before when i used it to demeth glycerol, any ideas? thanks for the help

Location: chula vista california | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have a pressure gauge on your processor?

Good evaporation but no condensation?
Does this mean you have vapor exiting the condenser, or is your vapor condensing and falling back into the pot before making it to the condenser?
Are you positive your temp is getting up, as in you have a PID or thermometer or something actually measuring the temperature, especially at the top of the reflux column(s)?
If it worked well with glycerine it should work equally well with bio.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is this set-up ? for demething bio before washing? I'd like to see some pictures.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply!!!

double d
I measure my temp. at the base of my reactor.
Only vapor comes out of the condenser until i hit 190 F a stream of methanol comes about. but still a lot of vapor.
I also use an air compresor to help flush out the vapor at the bottom of my reactor, no more than 3psi. I´ll try to get a air conditioning cooler to lower temp.

heatbeater
I drywash my biodiesel prior to the methanol recovery with saw dust.

Location: chula vista california | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I drywash my biodiesel prior to the methanol recovery with saw dust.

You have me a little confused by that statement. Most people recover methanol, settle and then proceed to drywash.

You should measure your temperature at the head of the reflux column. Once the vapor makes it into the condenser coil, provided you have cool water flowing out the top of the water jacket, it should condense to liquid and flow and drip into your collection carboy.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I´ll start measuring the temp. at the top of my colum Smileand post my results
for the drewash I had read that some methanol is needed for the drywash, but not sure if this applies when using saw dust, i have just recently started this method. thanks againg for all the help!!!! i´ll keep on reading and posting....

posted Hide Post
I am not sure how you used the sawdust, but I guess it is possible that you removed a lot of the methanol with the sawdust. I use hardwood shavings myself, but have always removed the methanol prior to settling out the soap and then filtering out the remaining soap with the shavings.

Jehu claims that much of the methanol is absorbed by the sawdust. He doesn't recover methanol at all.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i thought of this at the begining but the smell of the vapors let me know its methanol, for the next batch i'll first demeth and then drywash. I'll let you know if there was any change, thanks for the reply!

posted Hide Post
in addition to the others questions?

what's you cooling water temp? having antifreeze in the water does nothing to change its temperature..you might try adding 20 lbs of Ice to the water before starting the recovery?

suggestions
1. control you pot temp based on the temp at the top of you columns. 150-152 is best
2. make sure you cooling water is never more than 100F.
3. make sure you have enough cooling water flow..if the vapor pipe at the bottom of the cooling pipe is too hot to touch..you don't have enough cooling for the amount of heat you're putting into the pot. put another way.. I can touch the bottom of my condenser and it feels cool to the touch not hot..not warm..

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips,

my water temp is under 50 F and have checked the end tuube of my condenser colum and is cool. I cant check the temp on the head of my column due to my set up, but by monday would be able to do this.
I'll post up soon! thanks!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yeyoherrera:
Thanks for the tips,

my water temp is under 50 F and have checked the end tuube of my condenser colum and is cool. I cant check the temp on the head of my column due to my set up, but by monday would be able to do this.
I'll post up soon! thanks!

Could the problem be air form the compressor pushing the methanol vapor out too fast not allowing enough residence time in the condenser? Alot of guys here introduce air into the mix also but I don't know how much. I would imagine it may be beneficial toward the end of recovery but not so beneficial at the beginning. You say your recovery setup was working well with glycerin, were you also introducing air in that process?

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this is my major concern, with glicerlo I sued to go up to 30 psi and the stream of methanol was very steady, right now i dont even go over 10 psi, with this in mind I still think the air flow might be to high not letting the vapor condence, by monday I´ll set up the thermoeter at the head and get a bit closer to the solution, thanks for the help!! I'll keep on, keep on, keep on....

posted Hide Post
So I inserted a thermometer in the head of the column, and started to demeth GLYCEROL insted of BIODIESEL as I was doing when I posted the message,

have had no problem with glycerol, head temp. is between 150 and 163 f., only methanol comes out of columns, no vapor, and am still using an air compresor at bottom of reactor to push meth vapors out at 2 to 5 psi.

I think the cause of the difference was in demething biodiesel and glycerol.
I had a much harder time with the biodiesel. Any sugestions for de-mething biodiesel?
Thanks for all the help!!!

posted Hide Post
just a couple of thoughts..
2-5psi..air insertion pressure or pot pressure? pot pressure measured in the open space of the pot?
just asking here..I never see more than 1psi in the pot pressure..I have no idea about my insertion pressure..never measured. flow air..not much..maybe a cfm or less.

yes it would be harder to get methanol from bio than gly..there is more methanol in gly then bio..just food for thought

for higher output purity..control you head temps to a much tigher range. think 152 plus/minus 1 F..not 150-163..way too much range..150 would the much better but take much longer. 163 less time but lower purity..MUCH Lower..

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks Keny! it would be air insertion, but Im even afraid to say that the head colum temp even goes up to 180 F, I´ll have to get a thermostat then. jajajja any good tips on thermostats? Thanks again!

posted Hide Post
search for a PID controller..think of this as a fancy - accurate thermostat..usually +-1 degree F.

-dkenny