BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Aluminum reaction question.

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aluminum reaction question.
 Login/Join

posted
I remember reading in a post that alcohol reacted with aluminum.Is this reaction a slow destruction of the aluminum without effecting the alcohol, or does this reaction have an effect on the alcohol possibly rendering it useless for our purposes, or a big bang accompanied by a mushroom cloud? Thank you, and may the reaction be with you.

Location: oxnard, ca. | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using an aluminium auto radiator for methanol recovery for well over 100 gallons with no noticable effect.

It is my understanding that aluminum is not bothered much by methanol. Some alloys may be tho.

Certainly methoxide (methanol with NAOH) will destroy aluminum in a hurry, making hydrogen gas in the process! It's the NAOH that does it.

Draino has NAOH with aluminum particles in it which make it active in water.

Bob

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The reaction between Methanol and Aluminum is well-known. From Wikipedia:

quote:
One of the drawbacks of methanol as a fuel is its corrosivity to some metals, including aluminum. Methanol, although a weak acid, attacks the oxide coating that normally protects the aluminium from corrosion:

6 CH3OH + Al2O3 → 2 Al(OCH3)3 + 3 H2O

Note that both the Aluminum and Methanol are "spoiled" through this reaction.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind."

George Orwell

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BobAbbey:
I have been using an aluminium auto radiator for methanol recovery for well over 100 gallons with no noticable effect.

Any chance you would share your plans for this recovery unit? I was thinking about using a radiator to spray wet biodiesel onto for drying after water wash. I have an immediate need to fabricate a drying sytem. Got any advice?

Much thanks,
Billy

Location: PDX | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hummm, I keep about a pint of methanol in a Sigg aluminumn bottle, un anodized aluminum. I have not noticed any effect. I am running a 3/27 right now with methanol from that bottle and some from a stainless storage can. Both samples test the same, good to go.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure whether meth reacts against aluminum, but I know that lye does.

In fact when lye reacts with aluminum, it produces hydrogen. When lye reacts with sugar, it produces carbon monoxide. Safety first!

posted Hide Post
Methanol DOES react with aluminum. But if you look at Methanex's methanol TISH you'll see (page 22) clearly stated that it attacks it SLOWLY.
How slowly? Very. I can talk for personal experience, and so does anybody that ever operated a model engine. I have had model engines (for R/C cars and planes) I have used for HUNDREDS of hours, on methanol blends running from about 65% to almost 90% methanol, and have never seen the slightest sign of corrosion, neither in the crankcase or carburetor, where the methanol flow is fairly cold, nor in the cylinder head, where it reaches hundreds of degrees.
And also those engines are made with several different alloys, from cheap cast aluminum for some entry level engines, to 6062 and even 7075 for high end, racing ones.

"When you don't think what you say, you say what you think" Jacinto Benavente.

"Wars not make one great" Yoda.

"A pessimist is a well informed optimist"

WWVhaCwgSSdtIGEgZ2Vlay4gU08gV0hBVD8=

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alcohol does not react with aluminum... lye on the other hand does. It will degrade it vigorously while creating hydrogen gas.

Try mixing lye and water, in a sturdy container. All aluminum foil and capture the gas by putting a trash bag over it. When the trash bag is full, let it float away :-)

------------------------
1985 Mercedes 300D with Greasecar kit.
1993 Chevy 3500, my own conversion.

Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post