BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    what temp do you stop?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what temp do you stop?
 Login/Join

posted
I start recovering methanol at about 145 to 160 degrees. Then after it quits turn the temp up to 170 then 180 the 190 maybe 192..... each time I turn it up I get more methanol....So at what point does water begin to substantualy pollute the methanol? If it is under 200?
Why does "some" methanol need more temp to be relesed?

Tell me again....Why do I have FOUR jobs??????

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
When distilling, the only temperature that counts is the temperature at the top of the condenser.

Tank temperature does not matter.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To answer your last question, the way I understand it is that methanol alone will boil at 149F but when mixed in solution with biodiesel or another liquid that temp rises. As you have less methanol that temp required for boiling will keep rising until it reaches the boiling temp of the other liquid.

If you use a reflux design you will get purer methanol.

posted Hide Post
and the reason the tank temp isnt as important is because when the methanol vapors rise and hit the condenser head, if the head isnt hot enough the methanol condeses and falls back down into the tank.

the tank can be 200+ degrees but as soon as the methanol makes its way up and hits that cold pipe it's all for nought

keep that condenser head well insulated

Location: northeast ohio | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your thoughts. I quess my real concern was the application of higher heat resulting in "less pure" methanol. It appears unless I start to boil water it's o.k.

Tell me again....Why do I have FOUR jobs??????

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
If you keep the temperature at the top of the condenser at 150F there will be no water.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
do you have a reflux column? you should

measure and control this temp at 150F..just like Rich Da tech said..I have mine set at 152..why purity vs recovery time..152 is a little faster but slightly lower in purity..think 99.1 instead of 99.5..I use my recovered methanol for 27/3 testing.

I stop when the 'pot' temp reach 205F..why? equipment limits..if the equipment would handle 300F.. I would stop at 290F..reaching 290F vs 205F would take longer, but I would get more methanol out..there is a cost/time trade off here..I haven't looked into this since I have to stop at 205F

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post