BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Condensor from car OR plumbers delight
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Condensor from car OR plumbers delight
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
good..
top the column - > top of the reflux column.

it could go out into the atmosphere. wouldn't this defeat the purpose of the methanol recovery?

thought so..
now that you understand the roll of the reflux column.. Smile

at the top of the column there is a 'U' shaped piece. this could be made from two 90 degree elbows...
the net effect is a downward turn towards the condenser( air cooled or water cooled)
the goal to the re condense the methanol vapor back into to liquid. if the reflux column is working properly then we'll get high purity methanol only..no water in the methanol.

I think we've come back around your original question..which is more efficient? really either will work just fine..since you a source of car radiators( hopefully the fans too) I would suggest that route. I also use an air cooled condenser. it works fine.

we'll get back to the PID info after I post my diagram on another thread.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi
Very informative. I'm following along.

Brian

1996 K2500 4x4 6.5TD

Location: Southern Indiana USA | Registered: June 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheers for the info mate.
looking forward to seeing your pictures,
Mubs

Location: Preston, UK | Registered: July 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dkenny:
nope...none..makes the setup simpler.

just remember to plug the fan in.

Ideally you'll need to figure out a means to control the temp to the top of the column( this if the point before it makes a down turn to the condenser. this temp should be around 152-154F for the best purity..higher temps will distill faster but purity will suffer. a thermostat doesn't control the temps close enough. I use a PID and a thermal couple.

-dkenny

We use a thermostat and it works fine, we get 99% pure methanol http://www.biodieselpictures.com/viewtopic.php?t=614