BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    venturi for methanol recovery

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

venturi for methanol recovery
 Login/Join

posted
I think I need a venturi on the outlet line of my glycerine heater. I can't use a vacuum pump because I'm just using a drum to heat it.In the discussion on the Gl processor I see a venturi made of copper with a small line soldered to the side of it,is this what I need to pull methanol vapor from the drum? Seems like there would have to be an outside source of air to develop some pull? I'm just using 8' of 1/2" copper tubing coiled up as a condenser. Also,can I heat the glycerin without any sort of temperature contol . I'm not worried right now about water vaporizing with the methanol, but I'm afraid if the glycerin gets to hot it could ignite any methanol vapor. Once I can pull vapor than I'll buy and install a PID.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No outside air/vacuum.

The beauty of the GL system is that it is self-contained.

The venturi sucks vapor into the condenser, and then anything that doesn't get condensed goes back into the stream of oil that is passing by the venturi. No vacuum pumps to contaminate. No potential for vapors to escape.

Everything depends on a significant temperature differential between the condenser and the reactor as the temperature differential is the only thing that prevents the reverse reaction from occurring with the methanol container evaporating and re-entering the oil.

I'd imagine you'd want a thermometer/temperature gauge, vacuum gauge, and some kind of a thermostat, either fixed or variable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: keelec,

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post