BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Biodiesel in Glycerin?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biodiesel in Glycerin?
 Login/Join

posted
Have been noticing a clear layer forming at the top of my glycerin as the weather has warmed. Is it bio separating from the glycerin?

If so, will it somehow affect the methanol recovery in a pot still?

Should I just drain it off and reprocess it with the next batch of bio, then proceed to methanol recovery with the remaining glycerin?

posted Hide Post
If it's clear, it's most likely biodiesel.
Better biodiesel in your glycerin than the other way around! Smile

You shouldn't have problems with your pot still, the boiling temp of bio is WAY higher than that of methanol.
It MIGHT contain some water, but because the glycerin is so hygroscopic, it will be very little.
But it will, most likely, contain some methanol (around 3-5%)

But waste not, want not.
You could drain it off or wait a few batches like other people do.
Keep in mind that you should only add this to a new batch AFTER you have done the titration of that batch; it's just going along for the ride, so to speak.

posted Hide Post
Phred;
It won't hurt the recovery of the methanol from the glycerin layer, although if you plan on using the sterilised glycerin for soap making it would a good idea to get as much of the biodiesel (as that is what it is) out before hand. It makes things simpler. If soap making isn't a concern then don't bother with the separation, just have at it.
HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when I find that much biodiesel floating on the glycerin storage(waiting for methanol recovery). I drain it off( ok pump it off)..then send the glycerin for methanol recovery. the biodiesel is added to the next batch after the first base stage. yes I normally do 2 base stages. as many stages as need until the batch passes 27/3 testing.

yep. but I would hold it until the 2nd base stage. it should already be good biodiesel.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Looks like I will be adding it to the next batch of oil for the free ride...and if I get a bit of glycerin inadvertently mixed in while pouring, no damage done.