BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Vacuum pump placement?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacuum pump placement?
 Login/Join

posted
What problems can you run into pumping methanol vapors through a "dry" vacuum pump. Seems easier to place a condenser after the pump.

Anyone actual running the condenser after the vacuum pump?

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What problems can you run into pumping methanol vapors through a "dry" vacuum pump.

Heat caused by friction due to the lack of lube will likely cook the seals and could possibly ignite the fumes?
They make a couple of different pumps made to pump fumes/liquid, look for "liquid ring" or "positive displacement" (piston) vacuum pumps, there may be others as well but these 2 stick out in my memory from the research I did last year...
quote:
Anyone actual running the condenser after the vacuum pump?

Thats how GL uses the venturi in his push/pull setup. The venturi has a separate pump and canola oil bath with a heater. He heats the oil so the methanol fumes just evaporate out and pass through the condenser at atmosphere.
See HERE.
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By "dry" I mean oilless rotary vane vacuum pump. The pumps are not lubricated.

In way to far to back up and go the GL route.

posted Hide Post
OH, I have not seen one of those.
GL's vacuum pump could be used for any application, no need to have a GL reactor to utilize his vac pump design.
I thought about installing a heater in the large oil sump of my pump to get the methanol to evaporate out like in GL's design and then have the condenser on the output but it worked too well as is...
The base with the cooling fins is the oil sump I was going to install a cartridge heater in. The vanes in the pump are aluminum and after running for several hours it gets only luke warm to the touch so I am not worried about it igniting any fumes.

Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am thinking of using a pump like this.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/...m=4-1669&catname=air

posted Hide Post
I dont know what to tell ya! Smile
It only draws a vacuum up to 20Hg, thats not that great. I find between 22 and 28Hg is were you need to be to get the last bit out.
If you do try that pump keep the motor in a well ventilated area as it has a sparking start switch and overload that will also spark.
You sure cant beat the price, just the motor would be worth more than that.
Let us know what you come up with.
Jon

posted Hide Post
I decided against using pumps like this b/c the internals are all steel - the vanes are spring tensioned against the housing and spin at high rpm with full time tip area contact. They get pretty hot. I don't have any knowledge of them sparking, but didn't feel like risking it. Used them on the super sucker with success tho.

posted Hide Post
The pump I took apart had nonmetal vanes and no springs. Just centrifugal force holds the vanes out against the housing. I guess the trade off is the pumps do not pull as much vacuum. I am hoping 20 inches and heat will get the job done.

posted Hide Post
FF, my vac pump is a larger version gast than the one in your link, centrifugal vanes, it is down stream of the condenser and drop out vessel, it does still see some methanol vapors and I have never had any problems, the vanes are pure carbon and will not spark, mine pulls 27" with no problem.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the only problem you might have with this pump is oil/glycerin vapor getting to the vanes..and all that does is gum them up so they don't move out the ring for sealing.

I have a 1023 and 0523 pump..I tried using them for vacuum dewatering..now I need to clean them.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post