BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Reflux Column Contents

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reflux Column Contents
 Login/Join

posted
Hey all,

We have been using copper "srubbies" in our reflux column for sometime now. We are upgrading our shop in the up coming summer so I was looking into methanol recovery a little more in depth.

So, I was curious to see if anyone could help me with the contents of a reflux column. Are marbles better than metal scrubbies? Will the hot methanol corrode the copper?

Sam Parker
Dickinson College Biodiesel
Senior Intern and Production Manager
Dickinson College '12

Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: December 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Same scouring pads are available in stainless steel, and they won't corrode or react with the methnaol. Some have used marbles but found pitting after awhile, but I digress. Others with direct experience in reflux stills will want to chime in and fill in the blanks. I use a pot still configuration.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HI Sam,

We took ours apart recently and found that the glass marbles we used (from a dollar store) were pitted. We also had some copper scrubbies in there and they were fine, just a little patina on them. We rebuilt ours with stainless shavings from a machine shop. Still getting 99% pure methanol out of ours.

So you guys at Dickinson finally built a still? Last time I was there in 08 I picked up a barrel of your glycerin that was not demethed. Say hi to Matt and Andrew for me.

Andrew R.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam DC Bio:
Are marbles better than metal scrubbies? Will the hot methanol corrode the copper?

I use ceramic raschig rings. They don't corrode and most importantly, they don't compact and impede vapor flow. They are a bit pricey but maintenance free and way lighter than marbles and steel. They also have 30% more surface area than a marble. I dump mine out about every third or fourth recovery and wash them off with a hose. Seldom see anything but a small bit of "glycerine smudge" on the very bottom pieces.

My column and condenser are both made out of copper and they show no signs of degradation from methanol.

Norman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StorminNorman,

Location: Lincoln, NE | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The stainless scrubbers give a huge amount of surface are per unit of column height. Way more than Raschig rings and marbles. They are cheap and last quite a while. Check out www.homedistiller.org in the reflux column section for more info than you would ever need (unless of course you are distilling ethanol Roll Eyes)

Tony

2002 Ford Excursion 7.3l
1983 Mercedes 300D
GL processor
You're not finished when you lose,
You're finished when you quit.

Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: April 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ditto on the stainless steel scrubs..

methanol doesn't seem to bother copper.
my column is copper as is the the plumbing that follows the column until the collection tank. ok with the exception of 3 feet of plastic hose at the output of the condenser.

I found my scrubs at a place online..fairly cheap..way cheaper then buying something from the store.
also look at restaurant supply places.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post