BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    ? about methanol backing up in the recovery line

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? about methanol backing up in the recovery line
 Login/Join

posted
I'm still using a 26 gal air tank GL1 processor I put together last year. I've been making slow changes to it to make it better, one being a nice drilled-out solder venturi. It sucks pretty good but what I've found now is that when I'm recovering methanol a good amount gets stuck in the lines. If I shut off circulation a good 6-8 ounces will immediately drain out of the line and into the recovery bottle.

I have a PD condenser coming out of the tank, its about 4-5 feet long. At the bottom I have a tee with straight doing going into the recovery tank. Out the right of the tee is another tee. The second tee side output goes straight up as the vent line and the other output goes into a 90 which also goes up to the top of the tank and into the venturi.
All lines are 1/2" PCV tubing. Is the tubing too small to allow proper draining?

Location: northeast ohio | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a similar issue and would close the shutoff valve on the vacuum line enough to keep the methanol from running back thru the processor. one thing that I did to help was installing a 1 1/2" pvc tee so that the 1/2" vacuum line was not so close to the liquid methanol.
Dean

Location: central Illinois | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that's kinda what i thought i was headed toward, larger intersection. thanks for the picture and confirmation, very helpful!

Location: northeast ohio | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have/had the same problem. Didn't have mist coming out of the condenser bottom but a good amount of condensate in the return line. It means the condenser is not cold enough and/or the venturi is sucking too strongly shortening the time the vapor is in contact with cool walls of the condenser.
Try adjusting both, less suck and cooler condenser.
jim

Location: Saint Paul, MN. | Registered: September 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fixed the problem by using a 1.5" PVC pipe manifold at the bottom of the condenser. The diameter of the PVC pipe allows more room for flow and for the liquid to drop out.

My new problem is, since making a better venturi when i recovery methanol the mixture starts to back up out of the venturi. Around 165 degrees or so instead of the venturi sucking air into the system everything starts coming out of the venturi.

Lately I close the return valve and allow the pressure alone to push out the top of the tank into the condenser and it seems to work fine but would rather it work properly.