BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Separation in glycerin

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Separation in glycerin
 Login/Join

posted
After I demeth my glycerin, sometimes I get a separation layer that is a murky milk chocolate brown. Here are my steps, when I drain off the glycerin after making a batch of bio, I do get a small amount of bio in with the glycerin. I then put it in a cone and let it sit for a week and the bio goes to the top. I drain off the glycerin and stop before the bio layer. I then demeth the glycerin until no more methanol is produced. I drain the glycerin from the recovery unit and let sit and cool, I mix with 25% water and let sit for a day and sometimes I will get the brown layer on top. I decant this layer and pour into 1 gallon containers to give to my concrete contractors for form oil and I have noticed that after a few months the glycerin separates even more. Does anyone have any ideas what this layer is? I readily remixes with a few shakes, but in a couple of days reappears.

posted Hide Post
Possibly the water your adding,maybe.

posted Hide Post
I will have to try it with distilled.