BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Legality of recovering methanol in USA

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legality of recovering methanol in USA
 Login/Join

posted
I had someone tell me last weekend that it is illegal to have a still without a license in the USA, I cannot find any information or citation of law that makes it illegal to distill our glycerin and recover the methanol. Any comments?

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
The Federal Government requires you to pay taxes on any ethanol you distill. There may be licencing needed to be able to pay those taxes legally. A still is not illegal, unless it is being used to manufacture untaxed ethanol.

It's ALL about taxes.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that was my understanding. Thanks

posted Hide Post
Even though legal, I still try to watch what I say in the general public. I figure if I start referring to having to "go check my still" or stay home to "watch my meth. recovery" I might get visitors at my shop I don't need!

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was told by a Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission agent when I asked about an industrial ethanol distilling license that in Texas it is only need to distil ethanol. That was a few years ago. The laws might have changed. Based on what the officer said I think there is no restriction on distilling methanol, which is a poison if consumed.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure of the Texas views on this... I'll make a mental note to do a little quick research when I get around to it.

I randomly know that in Arkansas, even possessing the copper coil alone is illegal.

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
quote:
I randomly know that in Arkansas, even possessing the copper coil alone is illegal.

So much for soft copper plumbing in Arkansas. Must be a lot of frustrated plumbers. Lab supply houses can get you serpentine glass tubing that would work; almost every high school has it.

The only laws I am aware of are aimed at distilling DRINKING alcohol, not fuel alcohol (although that one can be touchy) or recovering toxic alcohol like methanol.

Look up *Apple Jack* so see how to get drinking alcohol without going through the process of distillation.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Texas Department of Public Safety, Precursor Apparatus Section has the task of issuing transfer permits to buy parts of a small still to do various types of chemistry research. Various parts of a small glass still are considered restricted "precursor laboratory apparatus". I applied for and got precursor apparatus transfer permits for my apparatus. I can now do biodiesel research as I see fit. It is a fun hobby from my perspective. If you want information on the legality of a still in Texas you can call Jeannie Malone, Texas Department of Public Safety, Precursor Apparatus Section in Austin Texas at (512)424-2481. She's a very nice person. To buy a small still requires filing an application. Then they probably check on you. Then they send a narcotics agent to inspect where the equipment will be used and stored. Then if they approve , they send a permit allowing you to purchase what you asked to purchase. The last time I applied for a permit it took about a month and a half before I had the flask in my hand. It is a hassle, but necessary to catch the bad guys who might be doing something. If you want to know about making your own still in Texas you might give Jeannie Malone a telephone call. The telephone number I gave is a government office. I hope that doesn't break forum rules. That's where the information is.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
quote:

So much for soft copper plumbing in Arkansas. Must be a lot of frustrated plumbers.
The Arkansas law probably outlaws owning parts of a Still such as the copper "worm" .

Location: Sam's Bar and Grill | Registered: April 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post