BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Determination of recovered methanol chemical strength

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Determination of recovered methanol chemical strength
 Login/Join

posted
How does one accomplish this?

I would like to know what the purity of the methanol recovered is going to be before I use it for another batch of biodiesel.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Location: Utopia Planitia | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a spirits hydrometer.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use a spirits hydrometer.

Yep. That's the best way to do it. You will have a very small discrepancy due to the different densities of ethanol (0.789 g/cc, for which the hydrometer has been calibrated) and methanol (0.792 g/cc), but that difference is negligible. I don't think you can get any better than that for the same cost.

"When you don't think what you say, you say what you think" Jacinto Benavente.

"Wars not make one great" Yoda.

"A pessimist is a well informed optimist"

WWVhaCwgSSdtIGEgZ2Vlay4gU08gV0hBVD8=

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I knew the solution would be a simple one.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Location: Utopia Planitia | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, around ten bucks will get you one.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can get a good one here:

http://www.eckraus.com/WINEMAKING/Wine_Making_Equipment...rs/Page_1/HY810.html

If you shop around you'll probably get a better price. Personally, I buy my winemaking supplies from these guys (not that I've been making much wine lately), and just their customer service and knowledge (and willingness to share it) is worth the extra bucks.

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Spencnaz,

Once you get a hydrometer, you'll need to compare to something. Here's the table I use for purity:

Percent Methanol
% @20C
100 0.7917
99 0.7948
98 0.7976
97 0.8005
96 0.8034
95 0.8062
94 0.809
93 0.8118
92 0.8146
91 0.8174
90 0.8202

IMPORTANT: These values are for 20C or 68F. Hydrometers and specific gravity are VERY temperature sensitive. If your methanol is hot, you'll read PURER, if cooler, you'll think your purity is low.

Good luck!

Steve

2007 Dodge Ram, 2x-2006 VW Jettas - 34,000 B100 miles by 2009.

Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: October 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the best chart for methanol purity I have seen... Thanks to Graham Lamming

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those tables are great, if you want to determine methanol purity using a scale, but they're not needed with a hydrometer. They come already calibrated in % alcohol.

posted Hide Post
10-4 on what bernyjb said, just get one for checking spirits.

posted Hide Post
Here is a link to a hydrometer for light liquids for $7.50

"Hydrometers for liquids with different densities. Range .700-1.000 in .01 divisions, overall length 29cm. The hydrometers bulb and stem are made of chemical resistant glass.Requires a jar or cylinder to test liquids(et.al. hydrometer jar or graduated cylinder)."

Jon

1995 GMC Sierra k2500 6.5 TD

http://bayareabiodieselsupply.com/