BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    question on purity

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

question on purity
 Login/Join

posted
hey guys...quick ?..if you dont use water in your process and recover meth.why would you have to worry about purity

for the record...just did 2nd batch with my gl 1day..no prewash..recovered almost 2gal from 50 gal of finished bio.saving gly and plan to recover using same reactor every 3 batches.which is between 45-50 gal gly

Location: western ny | Registered: April 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both the transesterification reaction and methnoxide mixing produce significant amounts of water.

posted Hide Post
okay,so if i take my temp up too high i will likely have water in my recovered meth,correct.also,if someone was to have water in meth and use it on upcoming batch,are they heading for trouble.i was hoping recovery wasnt going to be complicated,gl suggests taking it to about 190f...thanks....will

Location: western ny | Registered: April 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem with water in your methanol will be that the next time you use your recovered methanol it will make a wack load of soap. This is why we try to minimize water in biodiesel. It is needed for hydrolysis.

Keep the top of your temperature head on the still close to 64.7C. This is the boiling point of methanol.