BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    does an air bubbler affect purity??

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

does an air bubbler affect purity??
 Login/Join

posted
In my recovery system I use a 42 gal water heater and a heator core from a car sitting in cold water to recover. So, if the air is introduced into the glycerine that is close to 200 f. will the air bubbles carry some water through the recovery core also. Would I get a "more pure" product without the air?

Tell me again....Why do I have FOUR jobs??????

posted Hide Post
maybe..

are you controlling the temperature at the top of the system? using a reflux column?

no? don't know what I'm talking about???

then air might not help? it might hurt?

now..

I control the temps at the top of my reflux column at 151F +-1F..
I pump air in the pot and pump the glycerin( I need to do this the heat, inline heater)

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel a little spooked about air bubbles with methanol floating by my heating element. It seems if ignition happened in a big enough bubble of air/fuel it might ignite my methanol vapor above the glycerine and leave me a crater.
Am I missing something? If there is not enough oxygen to aid combustion, aren't we putting it in there?

Bob

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm with Bob on this one.

I wouldn't do it. To the best of my knowledge there is no still design anywhere that uses introduced air in order to hasten distillation, and as stated adding air where there doesn't need to be any is giving the mix one of the necessary base elements for fire.

A functioning still is a closed environment other than the recovery tube condenser, and is a relatively safe desing, tried and proven for centuries without adding anything to the mix. Call me conservative but if it ain't broke ...

On the purity question; I use a pot type still consisting of a 48Lt water heater and a recovery tube that arcs before entering the condenser section. The recovered methanol I get goes into it's own dedicated drum. I have fresh methanol in a drum next to it and mix about 20% recovered to 80% fresh when making my batches. This method has occasioned me no concern in the 3 years I've used it.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Several have reported bubbling air after the methanol stopped flowing. (heat off) The flow starts back up but it's up to half water, so it needs to go to a different catch jar.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found that adding air help speed the recovery rate.
the reason, I think, is the it helps push the vapors out of the still.

the air can be injected directly in the head space. there by removing the air/methanol vapor bang problem.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post