BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Best way to separate water from methanol???
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to separate water from methanol???
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
You will nevewr get 100% back, some is consumned in the reaction, the 80-100% you are probably confusing with the percentage of purity.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fabricator:
quote:
Originally posted by mason1956:
fabricator how many gallons of glis do you distill, how long does it take, how much meth do you get back, how much time do you have in that unit, and what did it cost to build

35 gallons, 12 hours, 6-8 gallons, 8-10 hours, 200 bux.

This is similar to what I am getting. I use my processor (40 Gal HWH appleseed) with a GL condenser on the side. I am using a base/base formula with a total of 16.5-19L methanol/100 liter batch so there is slightly less methanol in my glycerin then a typical single stage process using 20-22% methanol. Here is what I get:

30 gallons of glycerol, takes about 8 hours, recover 5 gal methanol

I also distill the methanol out of the biodiesel before it goes into the wash tank. I start with 100L of oil and end up with about 89-95L (about 25 Gal) of biodiesel. From this biodiesel I recover about 1 gallon of methanol - takes about 3.5-4 hours.

Still working on getting my purity up a little higher. Currently getting between 88-95%. Good ideas everyone...