BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Demething Tank

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Demething Tank
 Login/Join

posted
Not exactly "recovery" in most cases but this seemed an appropriate place anyway.

As those involved in dry washing one of the very important steps is demething the biodiesel before sending it through the dry media.

As Grahaam Laming pointed out some time ago, this process forces the soaps caught in solution to drop out once the methanol has been removed.

These soaps accumulate on the bottom of the demething tank,and MUST be cleaned out occasionally so that they do not end up plugging up the whole system.

Well, this just happened to me; I'd not been too bothered with cleaning out the soaps since I was able to simply draw from the floor drain as I was reloading the demething tank with new biodiesel ready to demeth. The old soaps would mix in with the newly arrived biodiesel and the demething process would then begin. I figured if it wasn't broken ... I got a surprise; the ShurFlo pump (great little pump BTW) gave a gulp and drew in a whopping wallop of these soaps which promptly hardened in the plumbing, plugging up the system.

I had to yank apart the plumbing and clean it out piece by piece and then open up the tank to get drain out the 100L of biodiesel that was in there before I could scrape out the 8cm of hardened soaps on the bottom of the tank. I now have about 10-12L of soap stuff from that tank to play with to see what I can do with it.

I though it was the pump that crapped out on me, but it was procrastination that got me (it's not really a fun job cleaning it all out). The system is all back together again and working fine, but I would have saved myself a job if I'd have drained it incrementally as I went along. Lesson learned.

**My reactor/processor :B100WH.com
**B100 Heated Winter System
** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.
** Interview with RolfQuo Biodiesel commercial use of wood chips for filtering biodiesel

** Don't tell me who you are, show me what you do and I will tell you who you are.- Jerry Rubin**

** Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein**

**When truth cannot be refuted it is tyranny's job to silence the messenger - me**

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let us know what you come up with LE!
I have probably close to a full drum of almost pure white soap that collects on the bottom of my settling drums. I usually shovel it into a rudimentary filter I made out of a 5 gallon bucket and some denim and let it sit for a week or two, that lets most of the biodiesel drain out of it. Then I just throw it on the burn pile, and man does it burn like crazy!
If it makes good bar soap it would actually be a white bar for a change, mind you it does not have any glycerin in it so perhaps you will need to add some thus making it brown again? Not that I mind the brown soap...
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mine is the same colour as Graham's, translucent amber. If it does make decent soap it will most likely be along the lines of Pears glycerin soap in appearance; no sugar, no ethanol required :-)
Be interesting what turns up though.

** Interview with RolfQuo Biodiesel commercial use of wood chips for filtering biodiesel

** Don't tell me who you are, show me what you do and I will tell you who you are.- Jerry Rubin**

** Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein**

**When truth cannot be refuted it is tyranny's job to silence the messenger - me**

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I was able to heat up a sample and toy with it a little so that now I am left with a soap cake that I will experiment with, the pics and results in this coming edition of Lather! Could prove to be quite interesting.

posted Hide Post

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post