BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    After Meth REcovery, Then what?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After Meth REcovery, Then what?
 Login/Join

posted
I just finished my first attempt at recovery. Much slower than I realized. I put about 45 gallons of finished fuel in my processor and removed about 1.5 gallons in 12 hours. I have a 4500 watt heating element wired for 110 and a plumbers delight and venturi. I did learn that if I increased the amount that the venturi was sucking, the quicker the recovery, but it still seemed slow. My question is, did I remove all or close to all of the methanol that was available? And, what do I do now? let it settle and use it or wash with water, or ? I did let it settle in the processor for 4 days, and drained off a very small amount of glycerine, maybe a 1/2 teaspoon, and maybe a quart of slightly cloudy fuel. If it matters, I use 20% methanol for my reaction.

Location: smithville flats, ny | Registered: August 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First question:
what temperature are you using, and how is your heating element being controlled (ie thermostat, no thermostat and bypassed, PID, variac, etc)?

if you're running with a thermostat, a pot still will take FOREVER to work. I haven't tried using a GL-1 venturi with a thermostat but I can't imagine that this wouldnt be a problem there either.

Location: Pittsboro, North Carolina | Registered: March 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bypassed my thermostat and ran the demething up to 200F. My pump is rated to 210 and did not want to burn it up (been there and done that on the real first attempt). Can't tell you the name of the pump off the top of my head, but I purchased it from murphy's machines.

Location: smithville flats, ny | Registered: August 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am just amazed how you guy's do this without having a major accident i.e. running hot bio via pumps over a really long time and unsupervised.... venturi's bugger that.

The time it takes you and the power driving this process is crazy...

Just seal off all your plumbing from your Appleseed with taps and bring in a bubbling tube above the bio level into the processor and down to below the element.. turn on your bubbler while heating the bio and allow the methanol to exit the processor to your condensor... Easy low cost and I can recover metahnol quickly and safely, I have been doing this for 3 years now and works a treat... when GL was mucking around with venturi's and pumping bio I came up with this method and stuck with it....

HDJ80
Canberra

Location: Canberra | Registered: August 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
As to your question about what next. One thing I'd recommend is getting it out of your processor immediately and into a settling tank. Soap will start to drop out immediately and you don't want it in the bottom of your processor. While it's still warm out of the processor bubble it for 12-24 hours to drive off any remaining methanol. Make sure you vent off the fumes.

"mixing up a bunch of magic stuff"

Al

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD - B25 - 100
2005 Ford F250 6.0 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 2300 - B25 - 100
Kubota BX 1860 - B25 - 100
5KW Generator Set - B25
Lopi Republic 1250 - Glycerol/Sawdust Logs
Bath and Laundry - Glycerine Soaps

Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post