BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    question

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

question
 Login/Join

posted
I have purchaced

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Z-MAN1,

Location: southwest chicago,IL | Registered: September 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z-MAN1:
I have purchaced a 13gallon milk can still w/ dome lid and a 3 " reflux tower, from mile high distilling, it has a 1" npt bung for a heating element 110 or 220? any recomendations? and can i get away without circulating the Koh glycerin?
i will start with 10 gallons. If i need circulation what should i use for heat a heat wrap? Hot plate?
Thanks in advance

Location: southwest chicago,IL | Registered: September 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do a google search on the terms; bumping , distillation , wikipedia. And read up on "bumping" during distillation. That will help in running your still. I suspect boiling chips won't work for causing a smooth boil with glycerine, methanol and the other stuff in the glycerine layer. I've seen bumping before in a small lab still. It might be a significant problem in a larger still.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on thumping, anyone else have any experience with not circulating the glycerin while demething ? Should i use 110 or 220v for heating element screw in type or a hotplate or wrap?

posted Hide Post
Nobody else? Hmmmmm.

posted Hide Post
A vacuum would make the water and methanol boil off at reduced temperature but might implode your still pot. Might be more efficient as far as energy needed to heat the still pot. But the condenser would need to be colder, depending on the pressure. My still is only about a pint to a gallon size still pot. I don't know about the hardware involved in setting up a bigger still.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post