I brew with NaOH, and use the glycerin of the previous batch to pretreat the oil. The glycerin before pretreating stays liquid at all temps, after pretreating it gels, so some of the methanol is staying in the oil.
Has anyone done methanol recovery on glycerin that was used for pretreating? What kind of returns are you seeing?
I just finished my setup to recover methanol from the BD in my apple seed, using a plumbers delight and vacuum pump. And was so happy to see my carboy filling up that I'm now looking at the backlog of glycerin.
Any chance of you elaborating on using both a PD and a vaccuum pump to demeth?
Sorry about the thread hijack...
But we need to see pictures!! LOL
Diddo I was wondering the same thing
Just be very very careful. I used this method for some time and it works well. With that said, your pump will suck up methanol and not an insignificant amount, at least 100ml and up to 500ml. (will depend on batch size, temp and time. If you don't believe, just rig a hose from the exhaust of the vacuum pump to a Mason jar with a lid on it. Put two holes in the lid, one for the hose from the vacuum pump and the other as simple vent. (want to be safe run a long exhaust hose to the outside if you are doing this in a garage.) If are using a AC Evac pump, you can put canola oil in it instead of synthetic oil and just collect the bio and glycerin from the pump and put it in your next batch.
|Powered by Social Strata|