BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    methanol recovery

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

methanol recovery
 Login/Join

posted
I tried mixing some recovered methanol with new. The recovered methanol was pushed too hard and had some glycern in it, the meth was colored. When I put the lye in, it caked in the bottom. I know it has gone through a chemical reaction and made some methoxide, but I am not going to use it for making bio, but want to mix it back in with glycern in the stil and re recover it. So, the question is, can it be reclaimed, or would I get so little of it, it would not be worth the time? It's 22 gallons.

posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm a little naive, but 22 gallons sounds like quite a bit, I guess it depends on your overall volume.

I don't see a problem with re-distilling it with your next batch of glycerine. And, then you'd have less methanol to dispose of.

However,

Have you tried running a "test batch" with your methanol?

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I went ahead and tried to mix it back with some other glycern to distill before I got an answer, and ..... it makes soap!!!!! Now I have 40 or so gallons of toxic waste...ie, soap made with methanol in it, so WHAT DO I DO WITH IT NOW?