BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    sherman is not very efficient

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sherman is not very efficient
 Login/Join

posted
ok,

i finally got my meth reclaimer (sherman) hooked up yesterday. cranked it up, but it doesn't seem to be too efficient. after 4 hours, i only got about 1-1/2 to 2 gallons back out of 10 gallons of glyc. wound up shutting down the thing cuz it was getting very late. i think that the top opening being about 4" down the side is preventing the vapors or "head" to properly flow to the plumbers delight condensor. (btw the condensor works great!)

i realize that alot has to do with the element and heating capacity, but it just seemd like i was spending a lot of time just to reclaim a couple of gallons.

any thoughts?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaun,

Location: se wisconsin | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sherman is now dead.....takes too long for recovery on a per batch basis. i'm changing over to a larger setup and doing recovery when i get time.

got an almost new 40 gallon heater for FREE!
220V 4000W single element.

question....
in theory, if i run this on 110V, it would take 36-37 amps. (watts/volts=amps) is this the case in actuality? can i run this on my 110V 20A service? i dont want to get this thing all setup with 30 gallons of glyc just to find out that i'm blowin fuses and have to empty it to change out to a 110V element.

i know some of you are running 220 setups on 110. what is the amp draw?

Thanks in advance.

Location: se wisconsin | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Joat101,
with 110V the heater will draw a current of 9 amps and will give u a power of 900 W,
so no problem with your 110V/20A wiring.
But 900 W could be not enough power to destill your 40 gallon batch, depending on the isolation of your Barrel.

br Dieter

Location: Germany | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dj8ds,

thanks for the info. 900W might be a bit low. think i'll get the correct elememt anyway.

duhhhh, i got it now. (small brain cramp and not enough coffee yet) the resistance will not change. so if you cut the voltage in half, so too will the current. V/R=I