BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    Air cooled condensers

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air cooled condensers
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all,

Does anyone here use the air cooled condensers?

Currently I use a system similar to plumbers delight which is cooling water based.

Do you still get as good condensation using the air/radiator/fan style condenser?

Im referring to something like this:
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/12voltheaters.html

Using the fluid inlet ports of the auxillary heaters for the methanol.

posted Hide Post
Yes, I know a guy that has old car radiator with a fan blowing on it. It actually works quite well.

www.turnerbiodiesel.com
www.turnerindustriesinc.com
Metal Fabrication and BioDiesel Products. Dry Wash Towers,Processors,Home Heating,Centrifuges,Steel Drum Cone

Location: Chippewa Falls WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok. I saw it in a biodiesel book. Just seems a little easier than dealing with cooling water and pumps etc..

posted Hide Post
I know this looks real redneck crude, but I laugh every time I run it.

It works fantastic!
There is a PID/SSR controler for the head temp, a 5500W(220V) heater element at 110V(1375W)cycled by the PID.
The radiator fan comes on about 125F and seldom runs only for a few seconds.
Always 95-100% pure methanol after about 14 hrs. I get about 6 gal. from 30 gal. of glycerin.
When the flow stops I switch the catch can and bypass the PID and let it push whatever methanol is left, water and all to finish it off.

The still in operation.

The PID and 12V battery for the fan are inside.

This is what I made for the head - it seems to act as a reflux for the water

Your milage may very...

Bob

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is awesome bob!

Do you use a vacuum at all?

Do you also recover from your biodiesel or just your glycerine?

Hey where abouts did you get that plug in fan condenser from?? Is it just from a car?

posted Hide Post
I don't use vacuum on a 55 gal. drum. It would collapse like a beer can...

I recover from the biodiesel in the appleseed. Planning to try vacuum on that.

The radiator and fan assembly is from a 1991 Ford Festiva. It's aluminum and has condensed a few hundred gallons of methanol with out any damage so far. Some say methanol will eat aluminum. I think it's just the lye that does that, and the methanol comes clean even tho there may be some lye in the glycerin byproduct.
I added a temp thermostat from a water heater to the radiator and wire it normaly off until the temp rises to about 125F.

Thanks for the interest.

Bob

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hey bob, does the fan condensers work well in the heat of summer?

posted Hide Post
I run exactly the same condenser except I use a 220v bathroom extractor fan. No problems inside a shipping container and >20C ambient

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reece123:
Hey bob, does the fan condensers work well in the heat of summer?

Yes, in fact if it's below 80F ambient temp. the fan will seldom run at all.

Bob