BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    solenoid on flash evaporator

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

solenoid on flash evaporator
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking to flash off my methanol by misting the biodiesel into a propane tank under a vacuum. I wanted to be able to pump off the biodiesel as it filled up because I am doing 225 gallon batches and I am flashing into a 100lb propane tank that probably only holds about 25 gallons. The second tank is hooked to the vacuum pump with a condenser between the two and it collects the methanol. I looked at, and bought, several solenoid valves from Duda. I then started to worry about how safe this was. I am planning on closing the valve to the vacuum, opening a vent valve, opening a drain valve and turning on the pump. I want to control this using optical sensors. I shouldn't have any issues, right? I am looking for comments or reassurance.

Location: Traverse City,MI | Registered: August 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A standard solenoid does not produce arcs or sparks and should not be too concerning with what you propose.
I am not sure what you mean by "optical sensors"?
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shouldn't have said controlled. I am using optical sensors instead of float switches to switch on and off the valves.

Location: Traverse City,MI | Registered: August 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post