BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    My Still/ processor setup

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Still/ processor setup
 Login/Join

posted
Several people have asked for photos of my still setup. I finally got the photo taken and edited.

Details
  • 80 gallon water heater
  • 240volt 4500w double loop element. runs on 240v
  • reflux column - 5feet of 2" copper pipe, packed with stainless steel scrub pads
  • temperature controllers - Watlow 965 wired in series. one for the head temp and one for the pot temp. if this was only a still then I think 1 controller on the head would work. I also use this setup for making BD.
  • condenser[/b] - air cooled, 3/8" copper pipe from an AC unit.

-dkenny

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaun,

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a LOOOONG feed to your reflux column!

Do you have insulation around the horizontal feed from the tank to reflux condenser, and around the reflux condenser itself?

Rover 75 + Skoda Fabia on B100
http://www.graham-laming.com

Bicycle on G100 12,000 miles p.a. ( http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GrahamLaming )

Location: UK | Registered: December 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Graham,
I have no insulation. in fact I have a fan assembly that blows on the column itself. the fan is needed to help dump the excess heat from the pot. 4500 w is too much, but 1500 is not enough. I figured the faster I could take the heat out of the column the more heat I could put into the pot.
the controller to a wonderful job at keep the temp at the head within a degree or 2 of the set temp.
I only have the loooong horizontal pipe to the column because I don't have room above the water heater. it might not be clear in the picutre but there's about 4' worth of pipe.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Ah , OK. If you set the PL value (Power Limiting) on the Watlow (pot temp controller only) to around 60% or maybe a little lower , you should be able to cut down on the need to cool the outside of the reflux.

That variable allows you to use a higher-than-necessary power heater, by ensuring that it is only energised no more than the % of the time you set, and since heat input = power x time, this may help you.

What PL value you you have set now?

If you're having to dump heat, you could probably drop the pot temperature slightly too.

Rover 75 + Skoda Fabia on B100
http://www.graham-laming.com

Bicycle on G100 12,000 miles p.a. ( http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GrahamLaming )

Location: UK | Registered: December 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Graham,

I might try changing the power level on the pot controller next time I run it. at the moment both are set to 100%.

I have the pot temp set to 210F, but it doesn't get there until its done. it usually holds around 170 for a long time. then it'll start climbing up.

sometime I going to try adding air to see if I can short the run time. but without loosing purity.

the purity as it is ( head temp 152F) is 99+

-dkenny