BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    getting started need some help making my still

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

getting started need some help making my still
 Login/Join

posted
i want to start recovering methanol from my waste glycerin. i have a 55 gal steel drum with a couple of electric elements for heat and an old fridge i plan to use as a condensor,using some nylon tubing in the freezer and a containment vessel in the fridge part.Then i plan to pump air from a compressor thru water seperator to stir the glyc.and force out the meth.
the more i read about it the more confused i get,for now i'd be happy to get some meth for reusing and not so worried about the cleaning the gylicerin completely.also i live near water and it is generaly very humid will pumping air from the compressor contaminate if very severly or will the air dryer take care of the water?
any coments would be apreaciated ,,i just want to here some sudgestions before i start a stil

posted Hide Post
http://www.moonshine-still.com/

i will be making one of the ones on this site

posted Hide Post
Look up the "Graham Laming" (often abbreviated GL) methods.

GL uses circulation and a venturi to generated a weak vacuum.

Other people use a vacuum pump. However, don't use the Vacuum Pump with a 55 gallon barrel, but rather use it only with a "pressure tank" such as a HW Heater, or better yet, a propane tank.

KEEP YOUR SYSTEM ANHYDROUS.

It is much easier to distill the methanol out of biodiesel and glycerin than distilling it out of water.

If you do distill methanol or ethanol out of water, you will need a reflux distillation column.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what are the vacuum limits on a hot water tank and what is the ideal temp when demething from BD w/byproduct in it compared to byproduct alone?

Location: Montreal | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been able to recover methanol from some koh glycerin using a 55 gallon drum that's on a stand . I had a 1" pipe union welded on the side of the drum 2 inches from the bottom for a place to thread in a heating element. Its a sealed drum and I ran a vinyl line from the bung to a copper coil thats placed inside a 5 gallon bucket that I keep cold water runnning to. In less than a day I get 5 gallons of methanol from 35 gal. of BDG. No vacuum used or temperature controller. I run it steady until no more methanol flows.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post