BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    simple automatic MeOH recovery still

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

simple automatic MeOH recovery still
 Login/Join

posted
Hi there,

I have an idea for an auto-still.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

My idea consists of:

-12'' metal tube horizontal 4' length
-baffles in the pipe (obviously the pipe would have to be cut in half to put the baffles in). This increases residence time of hte raw glycerin in the horizontal tube.
-raw glycerin is introduced in one end, this is heated (with copper hot water coils on the outside of the whole tube (once welded back together). or electric heating elements.
-a reflux column is attached to the top and middile of the horzontal tube (making an upside down "T" shape i guess)
-demethalated glyerin is removed out the oposite end at approx 1-2 gpm (if a constant temp of <98 >65 C can be mantained in the horizontal tube

Any takers?!?!?!?!!?

Thor.

Location: Edmonton | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You wont get enough heat from hot water in external copper pipes to heat glycerol. An electric element outside the cylinder will be very inefficient too - whats wrong with having it inside?. For an external heat source a gas ring would be much better, and a copper cylinder instead of an iron one (which you seem to be thinking of by 'welding'). Its debatable whether you'd get all the methanol out before the glycerol emerges, but it might work.

Location: Scotland | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post